This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Should I go to high school?
04-08-2014, 08:21 PM
Should I go to high school?
I'm a homeschooler, and about to go into freshman year. I was thinking of going because I have literally no friends outside of family, but I have no idea what high school is like.
Please give me real descriptions of what school is like, and your personal opinion.
Thank you in advance!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 08:27 PM

You should definitely go to high school. For one, you meet a bunch of new people and make lots of new friends, but it also teaches you a lot about who you are as a person. Also, you get to experience different teachers and their teaching techniques. High School is an experience that will greatly benefit you! Smile

Ads

04-08-2014, 08:32 PM

You should go. It's great and if you dont, you will be missing out on one big part of your childhood.
04-08-2014, 08:35 PM

I'm starting high school too. Don't worry about its high school so making friends should be fairly easy. Just be yourself and don't be the typical freshman stereotype. Ways to avoid that would be not running around chasing friends or saying dumb things, just be cool and relax. Also don't let anyone punk you, so don't be too nice and stand up for yourself when someone is bullying you people like confidence and make them want to be friends with you.

High school is a big step out of the park, you have more freedom rather than middle school. People are nicer then some aren't . Also you don't have to wear uniform. There are more extracurricular activities . And sports too. Watch out for people full of drama and if you do that your freshman will be good.

Be social. Get out there and talk to people, everyone will be nervous on the first day so take advantage of that and talk to people, say this "Hi, my name is _____", I guarantee they will respond back . Try to make at least two friends per class and then three the next day and so on, you'll quickly gain friends. Also, set up a time to eat lunch together. Also use the social network such as Instagram or Facebook, but instagram is better and most people will notice, hey that's that kid who followed me on instagram.

Good Hygiene. Brush your teeth, take a shower every day, use deodorant, etc.

Style, high school is the opportunity to express yourself through clothes, so use whatever works best. Personally, I use polo, Nikes, Adidas, Jordans , sperrys, and vans I use other things too. But I recommend this if your a guy too.

Have a smartphone so you can text and listen to music at school, use an iPhone or a Samsung galaxy .

Study study study. Time management is essential in high school. So always do your homework it's like 40% of your grade as well doing well on tests

Dang, I wrote a story up there lol, and not to mention look out for those back to school commercials they should come around mid July or near the end. Good luck
04-08-2014, 08:43 PM

I can give some description, but bear in mind that I go to a very highly ranked high school and my experiences may not be true across the country. My area is extremely academic-- I don't say this to brag, but to say that it's not universal

I have friends who are homeschooled, and my brother was homeschooled for a year, so I can give pros and cons on both sides.

High school requires a lot of time management, as another user said-- if you don't plan out work well, you're f***ed. There's a lot of hard work, dilegence, and grit involved, with a ton of homework depending on the class. That's not to say homeschool doesn't involve it, but there's less room for flexibility. And a lot of classes require tons of memorization. And there are loads of mandatory classes that may be boring, like health education and math. You have a lot of classmates who are annoying, immature brats, cliquey gossipy girls, blockhead jocks (lol), et cetera, et cetera.

However, there are positives. It is easier to get a social experience and find friends and interests. The teachers have training, which lifts the burden off of the parents to learn from a book to teach you. IE, I think it's required for science teachers to have a degree in their respective fields to teach.
And it's less costly and time-consuming in terms of parental investment. Also, there are interesting classes that, in my opinion, counteract boring ones by a lot.

There are obviously positives to homeschool, like bigger flexibility in scheduling and a self-directed education. But a big disadvantage is getting accredited for colleges. I know you can take a GRE, but there might be technicalities involved.

Not as in-depth as I was looking for, but I hope it was somewhat useful Smile))))
04-08-2014, 08:52 PM

-Listen, just to warn you, I'm going to sound like a mother, but I'm doing it out of a good cause.

When people go to high school, they think "Oh cool, I'm grown a teeeeeen, I don't have to do anything but fun fun fun and not care about school. It's like middle school anyway."
That is 110% incorrect.
Look, I don't know if you're looking for tips on the social aspect of high school, but I'm going to focus on the main, and most important part of high school- academics. High school is the 4 years that start to determine where your are going to be for the rest of your life.
Many kids walk in first day, thinking it's nothing but fun and party and hangtime. Do you know how many of them wanted to punch themselves in the face senior year?

Once you get to high school, everything counts. In middle school, you could be getting D's and C's, have a 2.0 GPA and hardly pass without consequence. Many fail to realize this is invalid in high school. That F you got in English during freshman year? Brought your GPA down and came to haunt you, since it kept you a few points from graduating senior year with a 4.0 GPA. Got D's in nearly every class? It's not like middle school where everything magically "disappears.." Colleges and Universities can see that. Got caught cheating, just to take a small reassuring look at your neighbor's paper? Oh yea, Colleges can see that also. Didn't get into your prestigious dream college, even though your senior year was beyond extraordinary? Oh yeah, you were a major screw up during freshman year and sophomore year, sorry. Many don't realize high school is vastly different from middle school, you don't get second chances or passes and every slightest action academically, and in many cases physically, is caught, recorded and is back to haunt you during senior year. Many seniors look back their four years and think "What if?", "What if I actually cared in freshman year?", "What if I didn't fail sophomore year? These four years of high school are what determine that start of your future. Everything counts. So make it count.
Take that into consideration please, high school doesn't seem much but a big 'ol building with kids going through puberty, but that "big 'ol building" determines your future life. Making friends in high school is all fine and good, but if you want it the hard way, graduation comes and what's left is only you and your grades.

Focus on academics once you get into high school, that's my only tip.
Goodluck!<3