This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What happens if I change the URL's to my website? I will keep the same domain but change the anchor text.?
04-08-2014, 08:24 PM
What happens if I change the URL's to my website? I will keep the same domain but change the anchor text.?
I have changed the URL's once before and it was the biggest hassle to get everything re-indexed with google. If I change the url's does google look at it as a different page / website now? Or once they recrawl, they will notice that it as the same information but just a different anchor text. For example, If i have a... http://www.xyz.com/top+fishing+lures+of+2013 and when 2014 comes around, I want to change the 2013 to 2014. I'm just curious about this entire process.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 08:33 PM

Effectively relocating content does tend to lose any seach ranking the old URL was getting, the standard, search engine approved method for dealing with this is to use a 301 redirect that routes traffic to the old address over to the replacement address, it also transfer s any backlink link juice to the new address, this may require a bunch of lines of script code in the .htaccess file.

A web search for 301 redirect, htaccess should turn up example scripts.

Ads

04-08-2014, 08:35 PM

You can get easy redirect everything with 301 redirection so old content to get redirect to new content. Please check .htaccess how to do this or nginx settings (in case that your site is running from Apache or nginx).

But much better solution is to create new content as:
http://www.xyz.com/top+fishing+lures+of+2014
and here
http://www.xyz.com/top+fishing+lures+of+2013
on top to put some text "update for 2014 year - click here"

Using this technique you hit twice targets with same bullet - links remain SAME - people will be not redirected between pages AND you can create high quality content updated over years - more information to be indexed from search engines.
04-08-2014, 08:38 PM

Interesting question. The basic answer is to implement a 301 redirect of the URL. If it is a Wordpress site you can find a ton of widgets that can do that for you. Next plan to eliminate the existing URLs so that you are not creating duplicate content in future. You should also create a 404 redirect to catch anything that you missed with the 301 redirect.

However, if I understand what you are doing, I would say NO do not change the URLs. Create new and fresh pages, you will reap way more benefit and drive more traffic (you will have both the 2013 and the 2014 traffic)
04-08-2014, 08:44 PM

Use 301 redirects so that anything acquired by the old one will be transferred to the new one.
04-08-2014, 08:48 PM

You can use 301 redirects.