This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Wireless being very slow, HELP?
04-08-2014, 08:32 PM
Wireless being very slow, HELP?
So, about 2 months ago the internet on my computer started being really slow. We have 100mb broadband, I used to get 50mb - 60mb which isnt bad to say the router is on the other side of the house.
Now I am lucky to get 3mb, I thought it might be my usb wireless adapter because it was only a cheap one, so i bought a TP-link TL-WN881ND. This didnt work. All my other wireless devices, ps3 ipod, iphone, laptop etc get around 50mb in the room where my computer is. I have reinstalled windows to see if that was the problem, but that also didnt fix anything.
If i use Ethernet i get 80mbs but that isnt an option because of how far away the router is.
Does anyone have any other ideas?

btw our router is a virgin media super hub

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 08:36 PM

If it is only your PC being slow it could be your Ethernet cable is faulty it could also be your processor has slowed down if it's an older model

If it's all devices it is then your internet and I recommend contacting virgin and they should bump up your speed and send you a new router because an older router can cause slow speeds

* tip * if you are calling virgin and they say they cannot do anything or that you have to pay for a router or engineer threaten to cancel your contract this usually gets them to do it because it is in their interest to keep you as a customer

Hope this helps contact me if you have any questions

Ads

04-08-2014, 08:42 PM

Try doing a system clean up

1) Go into control panel add and remove and delete any programs that you have downloaded and do not use any more.

2) Go back into control panel, Internet Options and delete all history, cookies and temp internet files.

3) Go into computer system tools and click on disc clean up and then go through the list that comes up in the box to make sure you are not deleting any thing that your computer might need (it will tell you).

4) Go back into system tools and defrag. this will put all your files and folders in order and give you more space and more speed.

5) If this doesn't speed up your computer I suggest you get onto your SP and ask them to do a check.

Or you could either rent or buy a dongle to give you a memory boost

I hope this helps