This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is 4 gigs of RAM good for a computer?
04-08-2014, 08:33 PM
Is 4 gigs of RAM good for a computer?
I am looking at new computers to buy. Most of them start with 4 gigs of memory, with either 500g or 1 terabite of harddrive space. Is 4 gigs RAM good for gaming, documents, social media and media watching like movies and tv? If not, is it worth upgrading the RAM, and if so, by how much, would another 4 gigs do it, or more? Also, I'm looking at either a Toshiba touchscreen laptop, or a Dell Inspiron 20 touch screen all-in-one desktop that I'm kind of in love with after seeing. Smile

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 08:40 PM

yes

Ads

04-08-2014, 08:43 PM

4Gb is enough for all but the most extreme games. If playing extreme games, you would be looking at desktops, not laptops.
04-08-2014, 08:48 PM

That's the minimum I would have on a computer.Most programs use more memory than they did before and people have more things running in their computers.If buying a computer I would buy one with 8gb or memory or upgrade to it.Your computer will be a little faster with 8gb of memory but over time after you add the stuff every users add then the difference is going to be more.I keep my memory use at no more than 30%.People will get on a computer and say oh it's great it's so fast.I'll get on the same computer and I'm surprise at how slow it is.
04-08-2014, 08:50 PM

the more RAM the better, check your computer spec to see how much you can add. But if you want a new computer get at least 1 terabite of harddrive space and 8 GB of RAM and watch those games run
04-08-2014, 08:58 PM

Touchscreen stuff is kind of a gimmick. Only on a tablet or smartphone does touchscreen work out, as you're holding it. On AIOs and laptops it kind of useless as you'll have it away from you, rather than in your hand

But anyway, Toshibas are cheap for the spec; but DELL are built to last. So go for whatever suits your pocket but don't let touchscreen be the deciding factor