This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Help on Routers, Modems, Cables, and Locations.?
04-08-2014, 08:35 PM
Help on Routers, Modems, Cables, and Locations.?
So i want to put my router in my room. There is no way i can put the modem in my room, but i read online that separating the router and the modem is not an issue. The router is not wireless. It can easily be hooked up in my room. When i went to move the router, i wanted to be sure none of my family had anything direct connected to the router. There was a cable running from the back of the router to the back of the modem. I want to know is this cable necessary or can i remove it and just proceed hooking the router up in my room. The cable that was running from the back of the router into the back of the modem will not stretch and cannot be hooked up once the router is in my room. All of our electronics are wireless and all we have connected to the back of the router is the power cable and the other cable i am talking about. Basically i just want to know if i can remove this cable or does this cable even matter. Thanks

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 08:39 PM

It's necessary if you want internet access. The modem connects your network (aka Router) to the internet service provider. The router serves as a common access point for multiple devices to get to the modem. If you disconnect it, you'll only have access to things connected to the router like a printer or another computer. But you won't get to the internet.

Ads

04-08-2014, 08:44 PM

Robert is correct, but your problem is your misunderstanding of wired/wireless connections. You say the Router is not wireless but all your electronics are wireless. How does that work? To see if your idea is correct. The next time everyone is connected to the Internet. Remove the cable connecting the Modem to the Router and see what happens. To stop the screaming just plug the cable back in. Smile