This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Am I wrong to not want to let my kids have facebook?
04-08-2014, 08:47 PM
Am I wrong to not want to let my kids have facebook?
I'm only 21 and don't have any kids yet. However, my sister (who has 2 kids) is already talking about how she can't wait for her children to get Facebook (or whatever social media site is in style then) when they are 9 or 10. I, personally do not agree with this for many reasons. I think there are so many opportunities for sexual predators to find children on Facebook. Also, children can bully each other online which is dangerous and sometimes worse than bullying in person. Lastly, I know from my own experience that people can be rude on Facebook. For example, if a link is posted with like 200,000 likes and comments, if you comment with a differing opinion people can totally BLAST you and people you don't even know can send hateful letters to your inbox. Adults usually know how to deal with this BS and let it roll off their back. But kids?? Something like that could make them suicidal. I think when I have kids I will be a very protective parent and not allow my kids to have Facebook or become involved with social media until they are 17 or 18. Do you think I am wrong for feeling this way? Thanks!!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 08:53 PM

be very wary , make sure you hold the password to the comp. it can be sickening sometimes as you see people put themselves forward expecting praise from every tom ,dick and jane . i would hold off

Ads

04-08-2014, 08:58 PM

I stand by your comments. Young people have been known to commit suicide due to the nasty comments left on Facebook pages. Children have run away with total strangers with whom they have stuck a "friendship" on social media sites. Some of those children end up raped and murdered. Others end up as sex slaves. Old fashion face to face friendships where parents have some control are the best friendships for children.
04-08-2014, 09:06 PM

Facebook should be for more teens at about 16. Once they have a facebook the whole world can see who they are. If she is ok with her kids having a facebook then that&#x27;s her call, but suggest that she makes them each for them and friends only to see what they post. And also that she monitor what they post.
04-08-2014, 09:14 PM

I am pretty sure that by the time my kids would be old enough to want an account, the website will be history. I will be very wary of allowing them on sites like that though, all of the online bullying plus the "putting yourself out there on the internet forever" just gives me a bad feeling. I am no longer on Facebook myself. It's liberating to delete your account, lol.
04-08-2014, 09:18 PM

well, my 14-year-old is not on facebook but if she wanted to be i would let her. i would rather teach my teens the skills to navigate the internet than try to ban them from something that is so ubiquitous in today's world.

my three under-13s are not on facebook because i don't think kids that age are fully equipped to make good decisions on it (and besides, isn't there a requirement kids be 13 to use it?)
04-08-2014, 09:27 PM

I won't allow my children on social media until they are legal adults. Exactly for the reasons you stated. People are so self obsessed as
well as obsessed with everybody else's lives. I don't want my children feeling the need to keep up, I want them to be content with what they have.
04-08-2014, 09:33 PM

I use FB to keep in touch with extended family around the country. I don't have 500 "friends", I'm always checking my privacy settings, and many posts are limited to only family. But I agree - people post so much junk and drama. My friend has her daughters password, and monitors her web history. The computer also stays in he family room - so no hiding.
04-08-2014, 09:38 PM

You guys need TO STFU I AM 14 I HAVE TWITTER INSTAGRAM FACEBOOK SINCE I AM 9 SO **** YOU IF YOU LET YOUR KIDS ON SOCIAL MEDIA WHEN THERE 17-18 YOU HAVE A BIG CHANCE THEY WILL BE BULLIED BECAUSE THERE DULL AND STUPID NERDS THAT DONT DO ANYTHING COOL SO NOPE
04-08-2014, 09:42 PM

Actually, the "internet predator" thing has been exaggerated. Research shows that most "internet predator" crimes are usually statutory rape. Only 5% of online sex offenders posed as teens, only 5% of online sex offenders used violence, and only 3% of sex offenders forcibly abducted their victims. None of the victims in the LARGE sampling were under 12. 80% of sex offenders are honest about their sexual intentions.
http://www.nsvrc.org/publications/articl...s-preventi
So in other words, "most online predator" cases are teens seeking consensual relationships with adults. It's mostly those aged 15-17 who are the most likely to take risks involving contact with unknown people, and they are the most likely to be interested in sexual relationships. However, 95% of statutory rape is initiated OFFline and the statutory rapist is usually someone the victim knows. Teens are actually better at protecting their privacy online then adults. They are more likely to use an alias on websites like Yahoo! Answers.

Bullying can happen offline. Most bullying happens offline. People have bullied each other since ancient times and kids have been bullying each other for centuries, and only now people are committing suicide because of bullying? Suicide is not a normal response to bullying. Usually media don’t tell you other problems that may contributed to the victims suicide. If you teach your kid the right values and to tell you when they are being cyberbullied, they will be OK.

Finally, there are rude people offline. The likelihood of a stranger sending them a hateful message in their inbox is low. If that makes a kid suicidal obviously the kid isn't resilient enough (when I was 9 and 10, older kids, middle schoolers said mean and hateful things to me, bullied me, degraded me, called me names and I was never suicidal). They may encounter these types of people offline and you can't be there for them 100%. Besides, they may create a Facebook behind your back. I know a kid who created a Facebook using his FRIEND'S cell phone at school. the school allows cell phones during lunch and free periods and he continued to use Facebook and the school kept allowing despite the mom complaining to the principle, district and school board. Besides, Facebook is a great way for kids to stay in touch with friends who moved far away.