This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Will I be flagged for plagiarism?
04-08-2014, 08:50 PM
Will I be flagged for plagiarism?
I did the ridiculously RIDICULOUSLY stupid thing of posting my
personal statement online. I'm freaking out. I deleted the post straight away but now I terrified that UCAS will flag it for plagiarism. Is there any way I can prove it is me!?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 08:54 PM

Did you write it? Or did you cut-n-paste from somebody else?

If you wrote it, using only the words that popped into your head, then you're good. If you cut-n-paste it from somebody else, it is possible to locate the original words of that somebody else and match it. Then you're busted.

How do you prove it's you? Dare them to prove it's anybody else.

Ads

04-08-2014, 09:02 PM

Not enough information. Without more information it is impossible to give you helpful advise.
~
Why would they care?
04-08-2014, 09:09 PM

I assume that you are worried that the university will run your personal statement through a database and it will match up with the one that you posted online? How long was it online? It sounds like it was only online for a very short period of time, in which case, hopefully, the plagiarism database may not have had time to catalog or index it. From what I understand, the most commonly used ones are not always very efficient at cataloging new web information.

Also, if you do get flagged, I would definitely explain this situation to the admissions office - it does not sound like horribly unbelievable story.