This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do I hide my wireless internet from everyone else ?
04-08-2014, 09:09 PM
How do I hide my wireless internet from everyone else ?
I have a d-link router/modem and it's new. I have wireless internet, and I want to know how I can hide it so only my laptop, my ipad and phone can search for it and find it and connect to it. ? I don't want anyone else to be able to find it when their device scans for it.
Help please ?
This is so someone in my house purposely can not find it. I do not want to change the name and password because then it starts arguments when i don't give it them

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 09:16 PM

you dont have to hide just make sure u put a strong password and chage it time to time

Ads

04-08-2014, 09:18 PM

Hello,

Login to your router
Locate Wi-Fi setting
Next look for a check box along side "Broadcast Network Name" and untick it
Before applying take note of the Network name/SSID and the security type WEP/WPA oh and the password
Select Apply

All devices connect to WI-FI already wont be affected

If you do choose to Apply Changes you will manually need to add the wireless network to your devices you wish to add to your network

Thanks,
04-08-2014, 09:26 PM

Use the link below:
http://netsecurity.about.com/od/secureyo...ghbors.htm
Hope this works.
04-08-2014, 09:32 PM

Your d-link router/modem can be set up to give other people their own connection to the Internet through the router, so they can have their own user ID and password to connect to the Internet and not use your devices, or use their devices on your user ID.

===

You are not going to be able to hide the existence of your connection.

The wifi is a radio signal. Anyone with a wireless device can see the presence, that's how hackers are able to look for wifi to try to copy or hack into. Your neighbors will be able to see the presence if the signal is strong enough to reach their devices.

Sorry.