This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My internet speeds are 2.5 - 3 MB/S but when i am downloading on Steam, I get about 400KB/. HELP!!?
04-08-2014, 09:13 PM
My internet speeds are 2.5 - 3 MB/S but when i am downloading on Steam, I get about 400KB/. HELP!!?
When I download games on steam I get about 400KB/S but when I do a speed test I get about 3.5 to 4 MB/S download speed. How can I get my Steam download speeds up to to speeds I am supposed to be getting instead of a fraction of it?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 09:18 PM

Hey Charlie, you may need to contact your network provider.

As always, you will never get the full potential of what you are paying. Ask of them to refresh your modem to fix your problems. This may be the cause or Steam may be having a server update or a large quantity of people trying to download also.

Best of luck!

Ads

04-08-2014, 09:19 PM

in the setting, choose the closest area to your location.
top left corner -> steam -> settings -> download. thats all you can do, really. i have 100mb/s internet and i download with 11-12 mb/s
04-08-2014, 09:28 PM

Are you sure the test does not tell you in Mb/s? This is the standard unit for bandwidths when marketing internet connections.

Mb/s - megabits per second
MB/s - megabytes per second

1 byte = 8 bits

So this would make sense to have a download rate of 400MB/s if you have a connection which is 2.5 to 3 Mb/s ( just under 400 MB/s).
04-08-2014, 09:32 PM

Paco Coco1973 has the correct answer. 400KB/s = 3.2Mb/s. So your findings are completely normal.
04-08-2014, 09:33 PM

Even though you are technically able to download at those speeds very few places will allow you to download form them at those speeds. Web servers often limit the max speed people can download so you don't have a few people taking up all the bandwidth. Nothing you can do about that really.
04-08-2014, 09:35 PM

re you sure the test does not tell you in Mb/s? This is the standard unit for bandwidths when marketing internet connections.