This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can I upload this on fanfiction.net?
04-08-2014, 09:19 PM
Can I upload this on fanfiction.net?
I'm guessing the answer is no. I recently wrote a story about Higurashi, the anime/manga/sound novel. The problem is...it's not fan fiction. It IS the story of Higurashi, just written in a novel form. No OCs, no original plot lines, etc. I have taken a few liberties with the translation of the dialogue (e.g. something like changing "I believe you to be a bad person" to "You're a horrible person."), and I've made it first person, so there are plenty of words that aren't in the original (like, explaining the main character's feelings and what he sees and stuff like that). I've looked at the rules of posting on fanfiction.net, and I can't find anything against it. It's probably just so obviously not allowed that they didn't even bother mentioning it, right? Can someone tell me if this is the case?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 09:27 PM

I'm pretty sure you can. I've seen similar things done, where someone retells the plot of something from a different perspective, and that's similar enough. Just make sure you mention that.

Ads

04-08-2014, 09:35 PM

You can post it, and you can get a lot of complaints about it. If it's not a derivative work (everything written in your own words, including dialogue) it will run afoul of copyright infringement. Quoting some dialogue is allowed. However you have to cite it in some way so that the reader does not think you wrote it yourself. And since you've stated you're straight up transcribing it then your work doesn't seem like it'd fall in the category of fanfic which is what that site is for. It's a very gray and messy area that you're probably best off leaving alone.