This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to limit internet accessibility?
04-08-2014, 09:32 PM
How to limit internet accessibility?
I'll have tenants moving in soon who'll be sharing internet access with me. I'm just worried about them being able to access my saved passwords on certain sites and history log. Is there a way for me to limit access for them? For instance, a certain amount GB they can use a month, etc?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 09:38 PM

Sharing through the the same PC or through a router? (Wired or wireless doesn't matter.)

If PC then there's *NO* *WAY* to prevent *ANYTHING* because all anyone needs to do is boot through another media and take full control. That's the one major limitation to security -- 'physical access' = 'zero security.'

It's possible to prevent other media boot through BIOS, but the BIOS must be passworded, and anyone can just pull a hard drive and plug it into another PC. It depends on how paranoid you feel.

If you mean through a router then it's a matter of PC firewall that denies all inbound access to all PCs via all ports. That should already be in place by default but you can triple check it.

It's possible to add more security through the router if it's 'smart' enough, and most modern routers are pretty smart. Call your ISP and *DON'T* say 'my tenants' say 'my kids' are hooking up a PC and I want to know how to restrict access from one PC to the other via the router. They -might- be interested in helping you, or they may not.

Welcome to AdminLand. Wink

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply