This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Wi-Fi range extender will it solve my problem?
04-08-2014, 09:33 PM
Wi-Fi range extender will it solve my problem?
apparently my broadband supplier (BT) has told me the reason i am less than a quarter of my broadband download speed is because i am using wi fi and i have 'interference' issues, i can get the proper speed when directly (wired) into my hub but this is not practicable, where my hub and pc is positioned, so before i have to pay to downgrade would a Wi-Fi range extender help (TP-Link TL-WA850RE) or am i just grasping at straws and these devices are not for 'interference' issues....thanks all

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 09:37 PM

WiFi extenders are usually used to extend the range of the router, but as they give out a stronger signal it may well help you if your WiFi is being corrupted by nearby electrical devices emitting radio signals on a similar frequency as described in tip 7 in the link below which is worth a read before you spend money;
http://aspenitcouk.wordpress.com/2013/05...s-network/
You can also use powerline adapters / homeplugs which are quite good (but not if you live next door to a radio ham), here is an explanation of them, I would consider them to be a better bet than a range extender IF the whole house uses the same mains phase, which if it is a domestic property will normally be the case;
http://www.frequencycast.co.uk/powerline.html
An Ethernet connection is the only way to get the maximum broadband speed, particularly if you are using Infinity, but things can be improved as you can see, so pick the best and most cost effective solution that applies in your particular case.
If the BT person has not visited your premises and investigated / identified your problem then he / she is probably giving you a standard answer based on that companies experiences, but it is probably the correct diagnosis, although their way of improving the situation might need a little bit more thought.
Best of luck with it, regards, ex BT Bob.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply