This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What is the best kind of router to buy?
04-08-2014, 09:35 PM
What is the best kind of router to buy?
I'm looking for a new wireless router for my household, but my knowledge on the types of routers is still small. My cousin mentioned something about N+ routers but I forgot. I'm looking for a router that has a very good range but any additional information you can provide will also be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 09:37 PM

To a degree, depends on what you want to connect, as if your equipment supports dual band, then you want a dual band router to cover the options (of using 2.4Ghz or 5GHz), while if all your stuff is only 2.4GHz capable, a dual band router would be a waste.

The previous standards of 802.11b and 802.11g (usually just called "B" or "G", are outdated, with B being seriously outdated, so unless looking at secondhand kit, the router will be some variety of "N" (and also backward compatible with B/G, though performance can improve if you turn that off in settings).

N has many possible modes, based around normal or wide channel, and number of spatial diversity antennas.

The most basic N is single antenna, normal / wide channel ... speed capability 72Mbit max in normal, 150 in wide. This is referred to as "N150".

With two antennas (MiMo - multiple input multiple output), two spatial streams are possible, doubling the speed if the other device is also N300 capable. Even with N150 devices, an N300 router may have stronger coverage by combining / selecting the two antenna signals.
With external plugin antennas, you can further diversify the signal by leaning them at opposing 45 degree angles or one up, one flat (good for devices with internal antennas when you do not know the alignment, as a device with its antenna lying horizontal will not get a good signal fro a vertical router antenna). Also, you can replace one of them with a directional antenna aimed at a spot where coverage needs to be improved - though you would only reach full N300 speeds where both antennas cover.

You can find N450 devices that use 3 antennas, and may specify that they use "beam forming" to direct the signal. Anything beyond N450 is generally dual band, an N600 being typically N300 on two bands, simultaneous.

PS, Beware of "dual band" routers that are NOT simultaneous, as they are only useful if you can switch ALL devices to 5GHz.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply