This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do I close down a large website?
04-08-2014, 09:37 PM
How do I close down a large website?
I run a large website with thousands of visitors who use it a lot. I have decided that I am going to close down the website in February 2014. I am closing it down because the site doesn't have as much traffic as it use to have, there are many alternative sites with more content, and I have moved on to greater projects. How should I shut down the site? Should I display a page with a message? If so, what should I say? Should I just pull the plug? What do I do?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 09:47 PM

put up a banner on your pages informing readers the date of shutdown in February. (thank them for their patronage) then when the day comes, simply pull the plug.

Ads

04-08-2014, 09:53 PM

I think it is appropriate to forewarn your visitors with a message on the home page.If you wish to retain your domain registration for future use or to prevent someone else from taking it over if you abandon it then transfer the domain to a dirt-cheap registrar like Hostingdude,com and refer it to a page hosted free by your ISP or another free host that simply tells future visitors the site has been retired. IF that doesn't fit with your plans then just take it down and let the domain go.
04-08-2014, 10:00 PM

Have you considered auctioning it off?

If you have a site with Thousands of repeat visitors, maybe you should put some google adsense on it and start getting some $ return.

I would not close down a site with traffic.
04-08-2014, 10:08 PM

Hi

Don't be upset you must continue you site. You will get more traffic in website by doing right SEO/SEM/SMM to know how to increase your traffic please visit this website http://www.moreviews.net

I am sure it will help you to get more traffic in your website.

Thanks.