This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
If i Change Homepage Meta Description, decrease SEO rankings?
04-08-2014, 09:45 PM
If i Change Homepage Meta Description, decrease SEO rankings?
Now One of my client's website is in the top position with targeted keywords. The main problem is the description is not good.
Recently my client request change with another description (It's good and optimized description 200 words).
If I change Homepage description, surely impact SEO rankings. But according to the recent panda algorithm, it's not impacting negatively.
Please suggest is is good decision to modify the Home page meta description?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 09:46 PM

If the page is picked up under the wrong description/keywords, change them - the page rank will go down, but being on Page 1 on a search is only valuable if the results are relevant.

Ads

04-08-2014, 09:55 PM

Well it's russian roulette - changing meta description can decrease SEO, but also can increase SEO or even remain at same position. No one can told you since we don't know old text and we don't know new text and even niche. Only experienced SEO optimizer and content writer can predict this after investigate site.

200 words meta description is MADNESS! Everyone suggest you to use not more than 160 words for meta desc.
04-08-2014, 09:56 PM

If you keep the basic keywords in the meta description relative to the page title/URL structure you should not have any issues and will probably gain some lasting traction with your SEO efforts. More importantly, when you create a better description for the SERP your odds of driving quality traffic to the site greatly increase.
04-08-2014, 10:04 PM

If u change the title tags then rankings will go down but not for the desc if description is not god then better to change with the new one it will boost Ur traffic
04-08-2014, 10:05 PM

change homepage meta description decrease seo ranking
http://moz.com/learn/seo/meta-description
04-08-2014, 10:10 PM

I think no need to change your meta tags now, you should change your description if you feel that is not good. You can change your meta tags in other pages of your website and then try SEO for that page.
04-08-2014, 10:11 PM

It is hard to say... If you were planning to change a nice, relevant description for a poor one without any keywords in it, then rankings could go down. But if it's vice versa...
In my experience, as long as the description is in synch with the topic of the rest of the page, it gets displayed in search and actually helps you rank higher.