This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why don't people hardly ever compliment someone that got better looking over time?
04-09-2014, 11:22 AM
Why don't people hardly ever compliment someone that got better looking over time?
I see it all the time on social media.

When someone (say an old high school classmate) became better looking over time, that person hardly ever receives compliments.

On the other hand, if that same person gained weight and looked noticeably worse, they would receive pity compliments about how "great," "mature," and "fabulous" they look.

Why is that?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2014, 11:33 AM

because its rude to tell someone "wow you used to be really ugly! but hey, you're cute now!" plus there is the jealousy aspect. that cheerleader who was a bomb-shell back then, but is an overweight sea-cow now, might not feel comfortable telling the school nerd, hey you look better than me now!

Ads

04-09-2014, 11:48 AM

Are you making a generalization? Because I don&#x27;t think it&#x27;s true... I&#x27;ve seen plenty of people do so, but it&#x27;s really not that big of a deal. Would you rather someone who possibly gained a few pounds to be treated harshly not knowing the whole story behind it and let the person who looks even better than before get all the glory? Of course not, there&#x27;s your answer.
04-09-2014, 11:55 AM

Ha ha I can vouch for that. It seems that I hit puberty pretty late. People are probably jelly that you&#x27;re like wine and mature over time when most people are receptive to the opposite effect. One doesn&#x27;t really need compliments though, one requires self-esteem and realising their self-worth.
04-09-2014, 12:10 PM

I guess by coming out with that back handed compliment is either going to alienate them or they will agree ,as we do bloom as we get older that is fact ,well some do lol