This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to recover a laptop password?
04-09-2014, 04:58 PM
How to recover a laptop password?
Hey everyone, about a month ago my sister dropped her laptop and the screen broke. I came back from university so she asked me if i could solve the issue so I just set the screen up to an external monitor and everything is working fine but she forgot her laptop password. There is only one account and its titled her name. I am wondering if there is way I can restart the laptop without having to use a disc or flash drive.

Thanks for the help!Smile

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2014, 05:00 PM

Good Evening William,

I have good new and bad news for you. The password can absolutely be removed/changed quite easily. Unfortunately, your restriction of not using a disc or flash drive makes what you want to do basically impossible. In the event I didn't read your statement correctly, I'm going to post up a few different options you have if you are able to boot from a disc.

If you have Windows 7 on the laptop you can use the directions provided in the following link to manually reset the password to a new one of your choice.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/h...dows-7.htm

The second method is actually the one I prefer to use. There is a free program, which is relatively straightforward to use, and it will remove any password from the user account.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthe...-guide.htm

I've used this second method countless times to remove forgotten passwords and have never had any issues with it.

Please let me know if I can provide any additional information or assistance.

Thank you,

Agent Jerry L.
Deputy of Counter Intelligence
Badge #48029
Geek Squad Social Media Team
02/15/2014

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply