This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
any way to get internet in a dorm?
04-09-2014, 08:02 PM
any way to get internet in a dorm?
Is there any way to get internet in a dorm without wires or aircards/hotspots.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2014, 08:06 PM

I would think most dorms now have WiFi. Check and see with you school.

Ads

04-09-2014, 08:10 PM

I have an AT&T Unite unit. It looks like an iPod/iPhone, but is a portable Wifi with a built in wireless modem.

I can connect up to 10 devices at a time to it via wifi and all are connected to the internet through its password protected interface. It even allows a guest setting so that you don't need to give someone your password to allow them to connect. The guest password changes on command, so a guest computer can only connect when you wish.

Range is 15-20', so not "seen" by computers unless they are very close. It recharges via a USB cable when the battery gets low. (Runs all day and often for several on a charge.) Data usage plans are available in different sizes. great unit for remote and while traveling internet.

I connect my iPhone and PowerBook and my wife connects her iPhone and iPad to it. All work great, although slower than via my home Airport Extreme LAN and cable modem.
04-09-2014, 08:22 PM

If you have a good smartphone and an unlimited data pan, you may be able to share the connection, refer to the manual on how to do it, probably you may need to visit the maker website