This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Martial artists, MMA, Boxers etc. Have you created any hybrid martial art?
04-10-2014, 02:20 AM
Martial artists, MMA, Boxers etc. Have you created any hybrid martial art?
I was trained in Ninjustu and Judo. All of my friends are martial artist who do karate, muay thai, taekwondo, doun quan kungfu and various others and we came together to create a hybrid self defense system / martial art. Called Protege Omnes, it takes from all of these the most simple, easy to learn and most effective moves from multiple martial arts to create it. Have you ever created a martial art or self defense system? If so, please be descriptive!
We have actually been teaching it for awhile now, we make half our living teaching self-defense classes. We teach it in one of the most hostile cities on the coast, Wilmington NC. I have had more than student that used it.
We are in a group that consists of members in their 20s to their late 40s. One taekwondo instructor and several other black belts. We also have a Golden Gloves Boxer. For all of you who said "you can't make your own" that is ignorant, I'm sorry gentleman. How do you think martial arts was created in the first place? Kung fu or karate? Some body made it up from scratch and put it into practice through live combat or warfare. They perfected their styles over years and years of trial and era. Krav Maga is a perfect example of hybrid system, it uses attacks and styles from multiple martial arts.
Also, I'm on here because I get payed to keep up with social media and collect information. Thank you for your time.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2014, 02:23 AM

No you need decades of blood sweat and tears not a couple of months not a group teenagers circle jerking and cuming up with ideas for self defence. I created a judo boxing hybrid when I was 14 called boxdo then I realised how stuipid it was and how thousands of people did it before me.

Ads

04-10-2014, 02:35 AM

No, never. I would not be so presumptuous and arrogant as to think that I am good enough to create something better than what I have trained in.
However, if you do train in several martial arts some moves tend to be similar and you never use just the one style or the other. So for example when I took my test for my next rank in Aiki I slipped a Shaolin Kung Fu technique. It worked and was close enough to the Aiki technique, only one of the guys testing me noticed and only because he knew I also did Shaolin Kung Fu. My Shaolin Kung Fu teacher razes me regularly about taking my Karate and Chen Taiji and putting it into my Kung Fu but I think he mostly does that to tease me. So yes, once you learned something especially if it has become muscle memory it will show here and there and you also move differently as all martial arts styles have their own characteristic of how they move and flow if you do them correctly and bother to learn how they move and not just learn the separate beginner 'how to hit hard' techniques.
04-10-2014, 02:48 AM

I am 100% sure you can not prove what you said about your hybrid system. I don't know you and this could be all fantasy but I don't believe you or your friends have put in the time and work needed to master a single art, I also doubt anyone on this forum has either no matter how long they claim to have been doing any art. This is a forum, any person I consider a master has zero interest in these forums, it just gets them upset seeing what people state as truth. Until you master one art, you are just playing.
If you are serious then I guess it's good to have that as some sort of goal but don't get delusional about it. To say it is the most effective would need to be proven. The ONLY modern master to develop any style/system was Bruce Lee. In doing so he did not just try this and that and figure it would work. He studied every aspect of what seemed good, studied all he could about nutrition, training methods etc. he put all of it into practice and spent every waking moment training and learning. Even after many years he was not done. How close have you come to that?
04-10-2014, 02:50 AM

YEARS ago I met some fckin idiot who got together with his buddies and came up with their own fighting style...tellin me what it was called, all this sht, and it was real clear to him I wasn't buyin what he was selling.

THIS motherfcker demands we "spar". He was punished severely.

lmao memories.
04-10-2014, 02:54 AM

You make it sound like you it's something you whip up in an after noon. You have so much information on here that makes me think you are so full of $hit. I will list that information for you:

1. You're trained in ninjutsu. That tells me a lot about your background considering that real ninjutsu is probably one of the rarest arts you can find to train in a quality way.

2. I saw your FB page. From what I can see on the picture you don't have a single senior member. All of you look like a bunch of teens.

3. I love how you come at it all gangsta and make it sound like Wilmington is the drug and murder capitol of the world. It's not.

4. But what bothers me the most is that you say you have a Golden Gloves boxer. If someone is that talented in boxing that he can win the Golden Gloves, why would he waste his time training with you. If he is a Golden Gloves winner that means he has a real shot at going pro. That makes no sense at all.

5. Who in their right mind would pay you to keep up with social media and collect information? Where do I find a cushy job like that?

It is very clear you don't have the knowledge or the experience to create your own martial arts. New arts are created by filling in the gaps of an old one. In today's world with so many martial arts that is not required.

When people talk about creating a new martial arts they talk about Bruce Lee. But Bruce Lee didn't create his system in an after noon. Which you seem to have.
04-10-2014, 03:03 AM

"It comes from the most easy, and effective self defense moves"...

This is the part I always take umbrage with. What are you measuring that against? What is effective and easy to learn for one person, might be ineffective and difficult to learn for another.

Measuring your style against Krav, Kung Fu or Karate is also presumptious. Those are arts that were literally BATTLE Tested. Codified into systems and tested constantly over generations and refined.

It isn't that I am against hybrid systems (Kajukembo, Kempo, etc), it is that generally those Hybrid systems are developed by people who have extremely rigorous backgrounds to back it up.

Imi Lichtenfield basically fought in underground resistant movements against Nazis.. he fought daily life or death..

Mas Oyama tested his style of Karate against all comers.

Lei Tai matches in China helped develop and test Kung Fu schools against each other to refine their arts, add to the fact of virtually lawless country sides.

What qualifies someone to teach self defense? Is being a Law Enforcement officer enough? That even to me is a mistake, LEO operate with weapons, the law already being on their side, and willingly and knowingly going into a physical confrontation with known back up on the way.

What they are qualified more so than the physical skills, is the mindset of what victims have in common, things that criminals look for. That and knowledge of the law allows them to be very effective at helping with the actual mindset of self defense.

Not having some sort of background in dealing with actual self defense mindset, 90% of self defense, conflict avoidance, victim avoidance is awareness, mentality, and common sense.

Unarmed physical techniques play an incredibly small role.

I feel that with everything I teach someone is going to come away with their own Martial Art... not in the sense that it is separate, but that it is wholly theirs. It is the things that work physically for them, their timing and their methodology for setting things up. I am not presumptious enough to think even with my background and 20+ years of Martial Arts that I could boil down multiple arts into what is the most effective for everyone.

It is the reason MMA gyms have people who specialize in each facet. You have a wrestling coach, because he is able to break down all sorts of techniques for wrestling that might match an individual better, than giving a cookie cutter version of a double leg. It is the reason you have a striking coach, someone who has dedicated themselves to striking, so again they can work with what works for each individual. The list goes on.

Even then, all that comes away with someone having their own fighting style.. not a system, but essentially what works for them.

I think trying to codify multiple arts together and think that you are taking "the easiest to learn, most effective" techniques is foolhardy, because ease of learning and effectiveness is based on individuals.

I could show Osoto Gari (used in virtually every Martial Art), and how, when, what angles, and small nuances to the technique in how is thrown is going to change from individual to individual. If you are removed from the expert at that technique, you just have what works for you, you don't have the knowledge to show someone how they might modify it to work best for them. What you have is a watered down template of a technique without a clear understanding of its practicality and effectiveness, more over WHEN it is effective, and when it isn't.

You might have a boilerplate of Osoto Gari, but you don't have the understanding of when, where, and what needs to happen for it to work, and when it is the most devastating.

Just my opinion, I think if someone wants to be effective in different ranges of combat, they should go the source and learn from the most knowledgable person they can in a given range, and take what works and is effective for them.

Thinking you can take from other arts and deem what is effective and what isn't for everyone isn't just arrogant, it is closed minded.

Just my two cents.
04-10-2014, 03:14 AM

It can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. If you teach self defense classes, remember that people are trusting you with there well being in a way. You are responsible as a teacher to take accountability for what you teach and for you students. As for a hybrid? It's possible, but I wouldn't do it myself. Ninjustu isn't actually that rare, at least I don't think so, I personally know several instructors in the art.