This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Severe unknown allergic reaction?
04-10-2014, 03:41 PM
Severe unknown allergic reaction?
I've had a series of hives breakouts multiple times a day everyday for a few months and about 3 weeks ago I started having trouble breathing so I went to see my doctor that same day who gave me 5 different medications and told me I suffer from chronic hives. We cannot figure out what it is but that's why I have an appointment with an allergist tomorrow. However, the nurse told me to stop taking all my medications Friday and since then my hives have come back and I'm having extreme difficulty breathing that comes and goes. (While taking the medicine all of my symptoms were completely diminished) should I just wait patiently for my appointment tomorrow or should I visit the emergency room tonight? I'm a 16 year old girl and I missed school today because of this...should I stay home until my appointment tomorrow or should I go to school? What if I get another reaction and can't breathe? It feels like my airway is getting tighter and narrower

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2014, 03:46 PM

If you feel like you can handle the night, great. If you feel like you will pass out in a couple hours, get to an emergency room

Ads

04-10-2014, 03:57 PM

tell your nurse,you cant wait for tomrrow...so re-sched your appoitment today or go to emergency right away...your nurse didnt know everything about you...
04-10-2014, 04:06 PM

If you can't breathe, it's an emergency.

ALSO - you and your mother should check out two conditions: mastocytosis and Mast Cell Activation Disorder (MCAD, or MCAS). These are rare disorders that often involve chronic, unexplained hives, although experts are thinking MCAD may be more 'rarely diagnosed' than actually 'rare.'

There are Facebook groups you can find if you search on Facebook for mast cell disorder, mcad, mcas, or mastocytosis. I mention this because they have very good files in their files section on symptoms AND testing for this.

Not only do most doctors not know this disorder, they often don't even know how to TEST for this, and will do the wrong tests. A tryptase test at the ER while you are reacting might be of use, actually. But the files talk about all of this.

Other than the files on these support groups, there's not much on the web that's of use, because it's all about mastocytosis, not MCAD.

Wishing you good luck. I hope you find the answers.

Oh, if it's not MCAD? I would highly recommend an elimination diet AND eliminating as many chemicals as you can from your home, with your parents' help. Chemical sensitivities can cause hives sometimes, like sulfites, and a food allergy, if it was something like corn, which is in everything due to so many corn derived or contaminated ingredients, you would react all the time. Again, most doctors don't check for this, in my experience. :-(
04-10-2014, 04:19 PM

In my opinion, you should visit the emergency room. If you can't breathe then its an emergency. Talk in details with your doctor so that he can figure out your problem and find a permanent solution.