This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What are the best Facebook game development resources?
04-12-2014, 04:46 AM
What are the best Facebook game development resources?
I am just beginning my search for game development resources as it relates to Facebook but specifically from a code and implementation standpoint. So far, I have found Facebook's official documentation (those found at developers.facebook.com), but what I am really looking for are websites, groups, forums, blogs or even books that are centered on making games for Facebook.

A little about myself, so that you can better understand my experience level:

- I have years of experience as a games developer, mainly as an artist and designer on consoles and traditional PC (i.e., 'not Facebook') titles.

- Recently (as in the past 6 months), I have taken a great deal of time learning PHP for non-gaming projects, so I do have some programming experience, but only at what I would consider to be an "advanced beginner" level within the realm of database-driven website development.

- I realize that most new Facebook games are Flash games, or in other words, knowing PHP isn't going to help that much as the language and design patterns will be different. Flash resources are also acceptable answers, as long as they focus on gaming as I have almost no Flash experience.

So, to refine the stated question - given my experience level, what resources should I go to first?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2014, 04:47 AM

our dominos Wink

Ads

04-12-2014, 04:47 AM

Flash is extremely long and boring to learn.

Development with it is even worse as was most likely designed by artists and not programmers.

In any case, most flash games on Facebook are built using purchased APIs.

That said, Flash is not the only solution. You can use what some call HTML5 which is growing in popularity as it doesn't depend on a plugin, usually loads faster and can be programmed more logically.

The drawback with HTML5 is that there aren't too many existing libraries to base yourself on.