This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ok is this attention seeking or not?
04-12-2014, 11:55 PM
Ok is this attention seeking or not?
So this girl in my grade revealed back in January that she was diagnosed with schizophrenia and wouldn't be attending school as frequently. She chooses to announce it on social media. The thing is no one would have known or really thought about it if she hadn't announced it. As seniors we all only worry about ourselves and our own futures currently. So it's 3 months on and she is having a Q & A about her illness in a class at lunch. Most of is are wondering why she is making such a large deal about it. Because honestly most of us could careless. It's awful to say, but it's true. I mean she isn't the first person to have schizophrenia or a mental disorder. People are diagnosed and then get on with their lives just like with anything else. Someone was saying that in itself her constantly making such a huge deal out of it is like almost the mental illness talking. And really I just can't fathom giving this one person special attention when there are dozens or more people who suffer from mental illness or deal with other issues. I mean really it seems she is more harping on it and can't deal with the fact that most of us don't really care...I mean yeah everyone hopes she can live a fulfilling life. But like it doesn't really effect me, so like why would I care....everyone deals with something just get on with it.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-13-2014, 12:02 AM

Schizophrenics, in general, do not like nor go looking for attention. They often experience social withdrawal, social isolation and difficulties with memory and their attention span. You or I cannot say definitively whether this person has been diagnosed with schizophrenia but chances are she has received the wrong diagnosis or she is using this particular mental illness to get attention. If that is the case, feel empathy for her because there must be something lacking in her own life that has led her to choose to make this statement. Perhaps she is receiving no attention/negative attention at home and so is looking for comfort and sympathy externally. If you wanted to talk with her one on one, she might be honest with you but if you do not wish to walk that path, then take a step back from her, do not engage in her conversations and focus on you and your studies.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply