This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why should death be sad?
04-15-2014, 12:32 PM
Why should death be sad?
I've come to think this is a natural reaction from people due to social convention. Whenever someone isn't sad after a death, they're usually looked down upon as inferior and are verbally assaulted. I remember when Steve Jobs died and Michael Jackson, if anyone said it was anything other than sad, they were slandered and I never understood why. Most people who were "sad" didn't even know these people, nor those they were being sad about, all they knew was that one was good at making money, and the other at making music, so why was the media flooded with tears?

I look at it in quite a morbid way, I find that the universe is so large and human's are so small in comparison, that the mark we leave behind is insignificant, at most people will only remember you if you were a war criminal, or the person who stopped that war criminal, or in many cases, you had a lot of money, otherwise, your life will have been forgotten in about 5-10 years max. That's what I find sad, not the death or the loss of the person, but that they will be forgotten soon, and all that crying would have been of no use. The only form of transcendence human's will ever have is in another's memory, so why waste time focusing on the negative and more on the positive, so that person who just died will be remembered, instead of forgotten as a repressed emotion.

My opinion does seem very depressing, but for me it's an unavoidable fact that people should consider. Or maybe I'm just thinking too much...
Going from your responses, it seems to me that it's the actual loss that people find sad, not the death. It's like I said, why are people sad about death, because those who cry about famous people dying, most don't know them, so what exactly are they losing, why are they being sad? It's different on a personal level, but when people hear someone died, they say, "oh that's sad" But why, what makes you think that? It's like a natural response, but also isn't because you aren't born with this.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-15-2014, 12:35 PM

Animals are also sad from death so it's not about society. We are just programmed to feel death is bad and sad.

Ads

04-15-2014, 12:37 PM

Death is happening every second, death is all part and parcel of life. Fred Bloggs died the other day, i didn't know Fred Bloggs, i wasn't close to Fred Bloggs but odds on someone would have been. They will be sad.

Have you ever lost someone near to you? Wife, mother, father, sister brother? Then saddnes in the human beings left behind comes naturally.
04-15-2014, 12:47 PM

Because of the loss it entails - to those who loved or were close to the person that died. The universe has no meaning on a personal and human level; human relationships and emotions do. Are you casting aside YOUR humanity to a cold and barren abstraction?
04-15-2014, 01:00 PM

Is there no one you love? Would you not cry if they died? If not, I feel bad for you.
04-15-2014, 01:05 PM

death is sad because death = loss; at least for those of us still left on the Earth.

"Sure, it's just that you use it for the frivolous....like trolling...... TROOOOOOOLLLLLLL!!!!!!! I HATE YOU TROLLLLLLLLLL!!! LEAVE ME ALONE!!!! I WISH YOU WERE ALREADY DEAD!!!!"