This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fanfiction.net - why was profanity not filtered out of a review? Is it because it was in all caps?
04-15-2014, 02:43 PM
Fanfiction.net - why was profanity not filtered out of a review? Is it because it was in all caps?
I'd written a story, "Daddy's Girl," based on characters from the Disney movie, "Tangled," when it came in - it wouldn't have bothered me so much if it weren't for the fact it had come from a guest and I couldn't answer... (in case you wonder, I had *not* turned moderating guest reviews on at that time, but I was forced to soon after)...

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-15-2014, 02:46 PM

(I'm assuming this is on FF.N, by the way)

No, it's not because it was all caps. I know that because I will sometimes swear in a review. SOMETIMES. And I don't USUALLY swear in all caps, if ever. Personally, I only feel comfortable swearing in a review to a story the author had sworn in first and I only use the "hard" swears (like the F-Word") in fics where the rating is M and generally save the "soft" swears (like damnit) for T-ratings. Generally I don't swear in anything K but I MAYBE would in a K+ (MAYBE, so far I haven't). But I did have a reviewer who did swear in one of my K-rated fics (I found it to be quite, genuinely funny). So no, it's not because it was in all caps. It could just be because if FF.N started filtering swears they'd lose A LOT of followers. It's a person's right to choose whether or not they want to swear and taking away that choice would piss a lot of people off.

If you are offended by swearing then there is a way to filter it out from Reviews and PM's. Just go to your FF.N profile page, scroll down until you see the "Filter Profanity" section and simply check "Yes". It's quick and easy and voila! No more swears! (:

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply