This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What does the setting "refuse cookies mean? what are cookies?
04-17-2014, 05:24 AM
What does the setting "refuse cookies mean? what are cookies?
What does the setting "refuse cookies" mean?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-17-2014, 05:25 AM

It means that your web browser won't accept 3rd party cookies. It is usually not recommended as Facebook and Twitter run on cookies. Smile

Ads

04-17-2014, 05:26 AM

Server: Hello. What can I do for you?
Browser: I want the home page.
Server: Ok. Here's the home page. Since you didn't bring a cookie, I'll bake you a new one. It says “mens sana in corpore sano”Please accept it so I may remember you when you visit.
Browser: Thanks.

[later]

Browser: My cookie says “mens sana in corpore sano”. Please give me the login webpage.
Server: Ok. Here's the login page. Please enter your username and password in order to log in.

[later]

Browser: My cookie says “mens sana in corpore sano”. My username is “joe” and my password is “mxyzptlk”. Please give me my account page.
Server: Ok. Here's the account page. It says that you logged in successfully. Please disregard the old cookie; your new cookie is “nunc fortunatus sum”.

[later]

Browser: My cookie says “mens sana in corpore sano”. Please give me my account page.
Server: Sorry, but that cookie is no longer active. I'll give you the login page instead. I'll also bake you a new cookie; it says “peccavi”.
Browser: Darn....

[later]

Browser: My cookie says “nunc fortunatus sum”. Please give me my account page.
Server: Welcome back, Joe. Here's your account page.

[later]

Browser: Please give me my account page.
Server: Huh? Who are you? Why didn't you bring any cookie with you? I'll give you the login page instead. I'll also bake you a new cookie; it says “delenda Cartago est”.
Browser: What? A cookie? I don't want any stinking cookie!

[later]

Browser: I rejected your cookie. Give me my account page or else.
Server: Huh? Who are you? Why didn't you bring any cookie with you? I'll give you the login page instead. I'll also bake you a new cookie; it says “Quod interdictum est”.
Browser: Who am I? That's none of your business I'm me, that's all you need to know.
04-17-2014, 05:39 AM

Cookies are short files placed onto your computer by websites that track your visit. You wonder how a website knows you looked at a certain product when you return to visit that site. When I make return visits Amazon.com, they show on my screen some of the items that I searched for. Cookies can store just about anything about you and/or your visit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie