This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What is good to major in for a career in journalism?
04-18-2014, 03:34 AM
What is good to major in for a career in journalism?
What majors BESIDES journalism are good for anyone who wants to pursue a career in journalism?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-18-2014, 03:48 AM

I would suggest majoring in English. You should also take a variety of science and social studies courses to become acquainted with the information you will need to know in your career. Having an understanding of mass media production as well as the world at large is essential for this kind of work.

Ads

04-18-2014, 03:53 AM

Hmm. If you intend to go into journalism, why don't you major in the field that can give you the best background, exposure and structure for the job -- which is journalism.

Not said that you can minor in other fields. English is so-so, maybe sociology, business is better. Environmental studies could be helpful if you want to do that kind of journalism.

But really, I promise you, journalism is not something you can just walk into without structure. Thanks to multiple industry recessions, the field is overcrowded and employers are going to expect you to be boots on the ground, no hand-holding.

(Unless you have contacts, and then, they hand you the key to the door.) Oops, did I write that out loud?
04-18-2014, 04:04 AM

Well, English obviously works pretty well but isn't a perfect substitute. Here's something that might be helpful, though:

Let's say you plan to specialize in a particular field. Law? Business? Music? You certainly could learn about those fields as an undergrad, and pick up journalism experience in other ways (or in grad school). That's more popular than you think.