This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why are some parents strict over dumb stuff?
04-19-2014, 10:43 PM
Why are some parents strict over dumb stuff?
Examples: A teenage girl wants to wear thong but her parents won't let her. (Girls wear thongs at that age to get ride of panty lines, not to be sexy.)
Bedtimes (Why put a child, let's say 6 years old for example, to bed at 7?? Its still daylight outside in most places)
Going out with friends ( Don't deprive them of having fun. They are only young once before they grow up and have worries and stress)
Grades (Unless you're child isn't trying, why punish then for a bad grade. Most likely they are trying and are just struggling.)
Cellphone (What is wrong with having one? They don't have to be on it all the time, but it's a good way to talk to their friends or you.)

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-19-2014, 10:56 PM

Most just want them to be safe I guess.

Ads

04-19-2014, 11:09 PM

Thongs..............they are dirty, nasty and disgusting..........once a girl gets her own job and moves out - then she can buy and wear what ever she wants. Therefore, as long as her parents are paying for things - she must accept what they buy her.
Bedtimes...............a child needs sleep in order to wake up, on time, in the morning to get to school and do good.
Going out with friends.......this is only important in high school. The more time children spend with the 'family' ....the better their memories are of their family.
Grades.............NO child likes to fail at anything and if a child does not get good grades - they are stuck at minimum wage jobs for the rest of their life.
Cellphone...............unless it's an emergency - NO child needs one. There's NO reason why a child can't just use a normal phone, call a friend and talk or go to the friend's house and talk.
Until a person can see the overall affects of things - then they are shallow and completely clueless.
04-19-2014, 11:21 PM

When you are a parent you have to pick your battles carefully, although these are very common. The thong thing is just parents wanting you to be modest and not sexually active because thongs are the anti-christ for or some reason.
Bedtimes for some one at 6 should be around 7 or 8 because they do need a lot of sleep to be able to function so even though it seems ridiculous to go to sleep while the sun is up you can always use the well you can go to bed at 5 in the winter when the sun goes down bit.
Going out with friends is good for adolescents because they need that social interaction and try to figure out who they are but it wouldn't kill them to spend a Saturday night at home with the 'rents for a family night.
They worry about grades because they want you to succeed and be successful in life, and not live in their basement till you are 50.
Cell phones are a problem though. We as a society are forgetting how to communicate with each other and with all the social media they just want to make sure your safe and not going to have something terrible happen like the Amanda Todd story.
04-19-2014, 11:30 PM

Well thongs cause horrible uti's, yeast infections, thrush, cuts and grazes in the anus. A teen girl will not understand this until she finds out for herself, so instead if letting her go through the pain, her mom forbits her instead. Also her mom would have to be the one paying for all the antibiotics for the uti, so I dont think thats a stupid reason.

Btw, when I was 16 my mom let me wear thongs and g strings she even paid for them, I never wear them anymore though because they gave me what I just described.

Oh and putting your 6 yr old to bed at 7? So what? 6 yr olds need enough sleep.
04-19-2014, 11:43 PM

thongs arent comfy plus they are more attractive for men even if girls arent looking at it in that view but still the boys will.
making kids sleep early is because sleep helps the brain develop and kids need it.
going out with friends is ok but what type of friends are you talking about. if your young thhen most likely you will do stupid things.
if your parents feel you are smart enough to get better grades than you probably are. punishing wont help much but its the only weapon they have to get you to study more.
cell phones are good becuz they keep u in touch at all times, but with all this cyber bullying theyr probably worried about you

Your parents care enough to take these measures. you might hate it now but you will understand it when ur a mom and thank them, probably even be mad that they didnt punish you enough!!
04-19-2014, 11:52 PM

that is not strict parenting,
04-19-2014, 11:55 PM

Because a responsible mature adult would understand there are nasty predators out there who prey on children. Why would you send your 14 year Old outside with a thong? You'd mind as well teach her how to be a prostitute.

Some people are just not fit to be parents because they're not good role models.
04-19-2014, 11:57 PM

Parents want what is best for their child. They have the experience and maturity to know the outcomes of certain choices. They are able to look at situations from another perspective.

A thong is disgusting, and it is not for children. While it may get rid of panty lines, it is used for other reasons. There is also very little reason for a child to be wearing anything so tight that they need to get rid of panty lines.

Bedtimes are based on the needs of the child. Some children are early risers and need to be in bed earlier to get more sleep. Other children will go to bed late and then sleep all day. Good sleep habits should be instilled early in life. I wish my mother would have made me practice better sleep habits as a child, if she did I may not have the sleep disorders I do today. My children go to bed early b/c I know the consequences of not.

Going out is not a necessity. There are plenty of ways to have fun that do not involved going out at night, etc. Being young is not a protection against the bad consequences that occur from children/teenagers making poor decisions that they are not able to understand fully. The worries and stress are still there, but children do not possess the life experience to understand or recognize them.

I am not a fan of punishing for bad grades, but a parent should expect their child to do well in school. If the child is struggling then they should spend more time working on it. They either need to study more, or have tutors helping them during their free time. Again a child is not able to fully understand the consequences of doing poorly in school. They really cannot fully fathom how their time in school prepared them for getting into college, and their time in college and how well they do prepares them for a job, which is essential for more people to live. Its a difference between living paycheck to paycheck with a rotten job, and living comfortably.

Children do not need cell phones, in fact most adults do not need one either. Children often use the excuse that they need them to get in touch with parents, but most of the use is for music, internet surfing, texting friends, etc. That is not a need, it is a want. A cheap phone that dials out is all that is really needed for a child that uses it to get in touch with parents, yet you see plenty of children with iphones, unlimited texting, data plans, etc on the phones. Children do not do anything important enough to need an expensive phone, they simply want an expensive phone.

You are not talking about strict parenting, you are talking about parenting. A parents job is to make decisions that are best for their children.
04-20-2014, 12:10 AM

The cell phone thing is generational. Older people think everyone has a "normal phone" aka a landline, when many people now don't see the point of that extra expense. It's a lot cheaper to give your child their own line on your cell plan than to have a "normal phone." Cell phones are the new normal phones that's just life.