This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sex store recorded me without knowledge?
04-19-2014, 11:06 PM
Sex store recorded me without knowledge?
I just seen something on Facebook that was very disturbing I work at a guest home for developmentally disabled I happen to run across a video with two of my clients in it they were in a adult sex store and the owner as well as other employees where video recording them with their handheld phone device is this even legal just is violating the rights of the disabled as well as ours aren't these places supposed to be discreet and professional

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-19-2014, 11:15 PM

It would depend on your state's recording laws, is a one consent or two consent state? They are in a public place so you have less expectations of privacy as say in your home.

Ads

04-19-2014, 11:17 PM

It's illegal to take a picture or even worse a video of someone without their knowledge and permission! That's unprofessional and rude!

Go to them and tell them if they don't take it down that you'll get their store closed down!!

People these days I swear.
04-19-2014, 11:24 PM

Yeah; Technology has made corruption easier and its now a inherent danger to all. We should all take precautions in keeping up with science.
04-19-2014, 11:32 PM

You are right; it is illegal!
04-19-2014, 11:47 PM

You have two issues: the recording and the dissemination. Recording in-store activity for security purposes is usually legal. In one party states, it's surely legal and in two party states, there should be a disclaimer/waiver posted at the doorway stating that by entering you agree. Either way, the recording is likely legal, in general. I say in general because security recording are supposed to be for security purposes, not general broadcast. Your claim would be this: "Public disclosure of private facts." You were there, so the store has a defense to slander, but given the nature of the activity, the business knew or should have known that publishing that material for no reason would cause injury to reputation. Good luck.
04-19-2014, 11:50 PM

There is no expectation of privacy in a store. No, sex stores aren't "supposed" to be discreet and professional. Should they be? Yes. Are they? No.

The employees who took the developmentally disabled to the sex store could certainly get some backlash from the public if this became known.

I see absolutely nothing in the law anywhere that does not allow videotaping in a store - it would be IMPOSSIBLE to write such a law due to the cameras installed to stop shoplifting, and those cameras are everywhere!

Would I contact FB with the facts of the incident? Yes.

I would like to see the law that states that it is illegal to take a picture - I also have no idea what "tell them if they don't take it down you'll get their store closed" means. I thought the photos were posted on FB? What am I missing?

Taking of photos/videos is NOT illegal. Could someone tell me where it refers to "one party/two party" States when it comes to VIDEO, not voice recording? I have never seen such a law - I work with Internet crime on occasion.
04-20-2014, 12:03 AM

CCTV is fine, photos of the men by mobiles is not. Contact the store and ask what they were doing.
04-20-2014, 12:19 AM

No reasonable expectation of privacy in a business that's open to the public. And what were they doing in an adult shop?
04-20-2014, 12:25 AM

There are no laws that prevent taking pictures or video of people in a public place.

The laws regarding 1 person/2 person recording deals specifically with phones/voice recording or videotaping an area where a level of privacy is expected.

However in a public place where there is no expectation of privacy (this includes an adult store) there are no laws prohibiting the videotaping of an individual. I could videotape you with my phone as you cross the street, enter the store and shopped around the store. If the videotape cover the person using a bathroom or changing room (where a level of privacy is expected) then there could be a problem.