This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
internet connection and bandwidth sharing?
04-20-2014, 04:57 AM
internet connection and bandwidth sharing?
I have shared internet connection with my neighbour . Does downloading on his computer slows down the internet speed my computer and vice versa? Can he limit the speed of my internet connection? What can i do to prevent myself if he can do so?
also can he see what i am doing in my computer ? He has the router.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-20-2014, 05:05 AM

Yes it does slow down your internet connection if he is downloading.

He cannot do anything to limit your internet speed unless you gave him your router login ID and password.

To prevent set a password on your router and do not share it with them. Check if your router has any option like traffic shaping or bandwidth allocation. Assign his system a fixed IP.

Ads

04-20-2014, 05:18 AM

The more bandwidth that is being used, the slower everything is (which is a common complaint with cable). Since you are sharing is he paying for anything? Keep in mind that anything he downloads will look like you are downloading it.
04-20-2014, 05:22 AM

I have at least 5 devices connected to my wifi router, First of all downloading anything gets leveled and it actually adjusts itself to allow enough bandwith to go through. What im saying is , your computer and his computer when downloading at the same time split the difference in bandwith. The thing that lags any system is youtube. Youtube does not have a limiter so what it does is use all the bandwith and kicks the other person off the network if he tries to use youtube as well. It happends to me all the time.