This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What website would you recommend for a personal blog/portfolio?
04-21-2014, 05:39 PM
What website would you recommend for a personal blog/portfolio?
Hello!
I am currently rebranding my blog and I want to add a portfolio page within it. My current blog is on Blogger but I want to explore my options as I'm quite serious about it.
I've been adviced with TUMBLR, Wordpress, Weebly and others. However, I would really like for an adivce based on personal experiences. In your opinion, what website is the best one to create a personal blog?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-21-2014, 05:51 PM

Well...everyone is different and has different needs.

I started with TUMBLR. It was simple enough for me to post things, then learn to code some more, and get active feedback on what I made. I bought a .com and added it onto tumblr, I had all space I wanted, but eventually I wanted to learn PHP.

So I still wanted a free hosting account so I went with EMNHOSTING.COM - her free package was perfect for me and it was easy to set up. I eventually bought her cheapest package ($1.50 / month). (I have since moved my portfolio to three-words.net)

I use WordPress(.org) as a blog on my portfolio so that I can show people that I'm still active, let them know what's going on, and for tutorials.

I probably wouldn't use weebly, but then again I don't know what kind of portfolio you want.

If your portfolio is more photos (modelling, makeup, graphcis) then tumblr would be great for you because there is such a large audience there - all you'd have to do is be willing to gain the followers.
If your portfolio is something else (web layouts, coding based things) then probably go with WordPress because you'll be able to tell people about your item and they'll be able to preview it. If you do want to use wordpress, just remember that you have to pay wordpress.com to use your own domain name. So if you want to use your own domain name with wordpress, you'll have to use wordpress.org.

Ads

04-21-2014, 06:03 PM

Try ghost.com its specialized for blogs and fast.
04-21-2014, 06:07 PM

Overall, third party sites like Blogger and Tumblr are not good choices for serious websites that are meant for business or commercial use. You're limited as to how far you can take a blog on these platforms.

Wordpress.org is your best choice -- you'll need a cheap web hosting account and a domain, though. However, it will let you create the site you're looking for, with a home page, blog section, portfolio section, etc. The sheer number of themes and plugins available for Wordpress will let you create any kind of site you can imagine. This is really the path to take if you want a serious business-style website to promote yourself with.