This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
someone created a fake account, used my name and committed defamation on facebook. Can i be sued?
04-22-2014, 04:14 PM
someone created a fake account, used my name and committed defamation on facebook. Can i be sued?
So this is the case:

Somebody created a fake facebook account using my name and posted very bad things (something that could destroy the reputation) about the company that i am working at. Can I be sued even if I tell them I didn't do it.? I don't even have a facebook account.

additional questions:

1.) when we look it up on facebook. the post was deleted and the fake account was gone. but my company said it was there and the damage is done. can i still be sued?

2.) I live in the Philippines and I have read defamation laws all over the internet but haven't seen anything related to my case. probably best be answered by a lawyer who lives in my country.

thank you in advance.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-22-2014, 04:23 PM

as you have not got a facebook account I cant see how you could be held accountable . a girl was fired from her job because she said on facebook it was boring and the company saw it and fired them . be carefull what is put on line

Ads

04-22-2014, 04:36 PM

u can show tht it wasn't u ........ u can take help of the police as well ...... it is a cyber crime ...
04-22-2014, 04:40 PM

I can't see how you can be sued since this is essentially identity theft.

First you should report the fake account to Facebook to shut them down, then go ahead and look into a lawyer to see what your options are.