This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
College major (Marketing; advertising) question. 10 points!?
04-23-2014, 06:40 AM
College major (Marketing; advertising) question. 10 points!?
Hello everyone. I'm a senior in high school looking into college majors.

What type of jobs can a major in marketing get? Some people tell me it's just selling cars (which I don't want to do). I like to talk to people and I can be pretty convincing so if it's just selling products in general or stuff like that then I would enjoy it. But I know it's probably more than that, which is why I'm asking about it.

What about advertising? It seems like marketing and advertising are similar.

So what kind of jobs can both get? I've been doing research but I can't find anything really specific.

Any help is appreciated!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-23-2014, 06:41 AM

I'm a business major. I got my bachelors degree in accounting an my masters is in information systems. I absolutely loved my marketing class. Marketing was a good fit for me but honestly, the degree is not highly valued. You will have to put in a lot of effort networking if you want to do anything with the degree other than sales. A lot of the "marketing" internships are really sales internships, and not good sales jobs. Marketing is much more than selling but unfortunately, hardly any graduates can work their way into a good brand manager position. My degree in information systems is more likely to get me a good marketing job if I do data analytics for a couple of years. Advertising is more of a subset of marketing and probably more competitive than marketing.

I took forever to pick a college major. I was really asking the wrong questions. You should ask yourself, "Do I like to solve problems? Do I like to help people? Do I like to work on projects, or day to day stuff? Do I like being creative?" What I would say is to ask yourself more broad questions about yourself and find a degree that fits your personality. Also, please make sure there is a future with that degree in terms of a career. It is great you are asking questions. I meet too many seniors in college who still don't have a good plan. Hope this helps. Message me if you have more questions.

Ads

04-23-2014, 06:50 AM

you could do a lot with a marketing degree

where i worked we had people who did..

1) sales, common entry level position for companies
2) in charge of social media
3) advertising/commercials etc.
4) online marketing/website
5) overall market strategy - who do we advertise to, how.. etc..

and even though you may have a marketing degree, many companies will move you around if they feel you will be a better fit somewhere else. for example, i majored in finance and started out in the accounting department at my work, but about a year later, they offered me a position with the marketing team working with social media/online marketing and website development.

really ANY business major will qualify you for ANY business job.. you will have to take a few business classes in college that will expose you to each area, this will give you an idea of what marketing, advertising, accounting, finance, business law, etc is all about and you can get an idea of what you like best.
04-23-2014, 06:58 AM

What the college won't tell you about business majors is that you will need 3-5 years experience to get a job in it....whats your plan to get past that? Are you parents downtown hotshots that own a cpa firm? Look like ken and barbie? The nursing school i go to is full of business majors who couldn't find a job, and gone is all their financial aid and pell grands and now they are paying out of pocket. Check your job listings for business jobs and you will see what I mean. healhtcare is where jobs are for new grads. not business.