This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do I add a simple custom filter to adblock plus? step by step?
04-23-2014, 11:36 PM
How do I add a simple custom filter to adblock plus? step by step?
Click on the ABP icon > Filter preferences > Custom Filters > Add filter group > right click on the new filter > Show/hide filters > right click on the empty filter > Edit > insert here the desired filter, for example:
||viglink.com^$third-party

A tutorial rather than a question. Since rarely using these, and when searching for the way to add simple custom filter I get presented with long tutorials that try to teach me the inner workings of ABP instead of just getting me to add the filter I already found. Or forums of experts way past this simple level exchanging ideas on how to improve the filtering, but no instructions on how to add a simple custom filter.

While it all may be somewhat intuitive, it is still frustrating when all I want to do is add a simple filter and have not done that in the past. That's why this tutorial, so future searches bring this up instead of the less helpful ones, sparing a bit of stress from my fellow humans.
Now, it would be appreciated if someone comments/answers this, so the question won't be deleted on yahoo answers.

Cheers!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-23-2014, 11:44 PM

Anyone reading the screen can easily add a new filter without this tutorial. Click ABP, Filter preferences... Then there are only two tabs, Filter Subscriptions and Custom Filters. Custom Filters is what we want to do in this case since we want to add a new filter.

Then we get to a new screen with two types of filters. Exceptions Rules and Ad Blocking Rules. Well since we want to block a new type of Ad we'll click there. We'll see a list of rules that define what ads to block. It's as simple as clicking Add filter to add a new rule to the list of Ad Blocking Rules.

I'd wager the reason they don't talk about this is because they thought that no one could confuse it as long as the user takes the time to read the whole screen.

It's even easier on Google Chrome where there is a tab labeled "Add your own filters" after clicking ABP, Options. Maybe they need to add this to Firefox to make it easier for people who don't do this kind of thing often.

– Dominic

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply