This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Not getting good hits back on my resume, why?
04-24-2014, 08:24 PM
Not getting good hits back on my resume, why?
Experience:
2 Years Systems Engineer
2 Years Senior Systems Engineer
4 Years Tower Lead
(all reputable companies)

Bachelors in Computer Science

Certified knowledge in (leaving out the frivolous items but there are many):
SQL 2k8, 2k12
Windows Server 2k8, 2k12 (have my MCSE)
Active Directory 2010, 2013
Office 365
Lync 2013
VMware (all official release versions)
ITIL Certified
BMC Remedy 7

When asked my desired salary I ask 94,588 a year + Benefits because that's what I want for my own financial reasons, have tried saying all kinds of numbers, like 80k, 88, 90, 92, 94, 96, 100... Same always dont get bites but I meet the requirements and if the post says that the job pays 88k, thats what I ask for still nothing.

I have had my resume professionally written, cost me 400$ and i'm starting to think maybe they did a bad job.... I have nothing in my life to hide, and nothing that companies find derogatory... Idea's please? My current contract is coming to an end in just a couple weeks and starting to get nervous!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-24-2014, 08:36 PM

f

Ads

04-24-2014, 08:50 PM

I'm not sure what your resume looks like, but maybe it's too sparse.
I know that the general rule of thumb is to never have it go over a page long, but that does not apply to the IT or scientific fields. The only way you can really tell what you are capable of is to...tell what you are capable of. Don't needlessly ramble, obviously, but don't be afraid to list out everything you know. Saying that you are an IT Professional or a scientist sounds cool, but many interviewers skim past those who don't REALLY explain what they are capable of IN the resume. It's too easy to waste time if not.

I'm also wondering - don't want to be too personal here, but do you NEED a minimum of $80k to live? Unless you are SERIOUSLY certified (more than you are now) and qualified, employers don't like paying that much. If you were to apply for a job that is advertised to pay that much, you'd have to PERFECT at every damn thing on the job description.

Do NOT ever post your desired salary ON your resume. Interviewers LOOK for that and use it as an excuse to simply weed you out. At the VERY least, wait until you have an interview to ask for your salary. Get your foot in the door and talk yourself up like crazy. Make them WANT to pay you that much so they can have you. Even if your interview goes like ****, you don't want to give them a reason to NOT call you.

Lastly - you are gonna have to apply like a madman. I mean just weed through Craigslist, Monster, Jobs.com, Cybercoders, etc., EVERY single day. Honestly, try to apply to at LEAST 15 new jobs a day. And then RE-apply to ones that you applied to over 2 weeks prior. Keep yourself at the top of the stack. If they ever list a phone number and don't tell you to NOT call them, then call them. It's a whole lot easier to miss or ignore an email than a phone call / voicemail. It also shows initiative v just sitting on your butt in bed sending emails. Pretty much, you are gonna spend a couple hours every single day searching.

Good Luck!