This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How does facebook know I'm not really Dean Winchester?
04-26-2014, 07:39 PM
How does facebook know I'm not really Dean Winchester?
Basically I was bored and being a fan of supernatural i decided to make a facebook account for Dean from it (not a page, a personal account). I typed in the details and used the same email address as my actual facebook account and it said i already had an account, so i changed the email address to my other email and still it wouldn't let me create an account. It said: We require everyone to use their real name on Facebook. Learn more. I clicked Learn more and my name followed all of the guidelines so why didn't it work? It still didn't work when i changed Dean to Sam. Does facebook know that Dean Winchester is a character?
Thanks for the answers everyone, they all helped me out equally i can't pick a best one

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-26-2014, 07:41 PM

maybe if you had an email address dean.winchester@mail.me it wouldn't give you that message?
Facebook has some real crappy scripts that do checks on names, but what is going on under the hood is something only the facebook developers know.

Ads

04-26-2014, 07:56 PM

I'm gonna take a guess and say your real name isn't Banana either.

I don't know how FB does it, but I will guess that with popular actors/characters they probably get a lot of people trying what you are trying. Maybe they looked at your IP address and have a record of you connecting to your real account using it, so they weren't fooled.

This situation might suck if your name was really the same as a famous one. I suspect you'd have to send FB a picture of your driver's license proving you are who you say.
04-26-2014, 08:10 PM

if someone famous has a page that is specifically named after them and it is set up to be a fan page facebook will not let you create a personal account using the same name.