This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Your opinions on this equine photography?
10-15-2012, 09:03 PM
Your opinions on this equine photography?
http://lgequinephotogaphy.wix.com/lgequinephotography website

http://www.facebook.com/LGEquinePhotogra...ts&fref=ts Facebook page

I'm 14Smile tell me your opinions on my photography? Have I captured the horses well? Would you hire me for a show or personal shoot? Thanks!xx

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2012, 09:11 PM

In the three shots on the "website" location (the ones that rotate annoyingly so it's hard to get a good look) the grey's ears are back. In the shot with the horse with the blaze, the cell tower in the background is jarring and needs to be obliterated through Photoshop or through a better camera POV.

The facebook page was cluttered and I did not bother trying to look at anything there.

Ads

These are nice, considering that your starting out. Smile
I won't critisize every picture because 1) that would be rude and 2) I'm about to go trailer my horse somewhere. But here's a little advice:

*Remember the Rule of Thirds.
*Black and White shots are the easiest and look most classy.
*Always edit your pictures. Not very obviously, but subtle-ish. Just change the size and crop out a bit of the shot if you have to. Adjust the saturation, contrast, and brightness. It may take a while to get a perfect eye for what you're looking for.
*Make sure the horse looks happy or at least attentive.
*When you take a jumping shot, take a few at a time. Keep the shots with the horse most eleborately looking over the fence
*When photographing flat- try to get shots of the horse in it's most "stretched" form. Like in the Extended Trot. Wouldn't the forleg look best to be extended in the shot?
*Don't have "busy" backrounds. But if you must, try to blur them a bit. Keep the focus on horse and rider.

Good luck!

You need to level your pictures better. The ones of horses jumping are terribly wonky and people wouldn't pay for that. Also, to make portrait pictures better, you need to change the 'f' number on your camera (the aperture) to the lowest setting so that the background is out of focus and the horse is accented in the frame. If the background in in focus it takes the attention away from the horse as there's too much cluttering it and going on.

You need to work on this before you start considering doing shows and trying to sell.

Good Luck !! x

Honestly, not too bad. You look like your learning, and just need practice. A few of your shots are very good, but theyre not consistently professional looking. Learn some basic photography "rules" of composition, some equine photography tips, and go from there. Learn how to edit pictures for the best results, and what settings to use on your camera for certain things. I admit, I just use my camera on auto 99% of the time, but I know how to adjust the settings if I want to say blur the background, or make it super sharp.

Considering your just starting it's pretty good. I like to do photography on animals, though I generally find taking pictures without a filter is the best way to go, then use Photoshop to change them up, make them gray scale or whatever it is you want, I find using curves is a good way of making them look more classy that added with gray scale is a common and generally well liked style. You can also use a brush to touch up (airbrush) areas of a photograph which are not particularly attractive.

A good example is the picture with the power(?) tower in the background, if you were to use the curve to bring down the colour and touch it up slightly, blur the edges and remove the tower that would be a really nice picture, the same goes for the picture of the girl on the brown horse in the field, if you touched it up slightly it would be really nice.

Another thing that is common is to do is blur the area around the "subject" which should usually be in the middle of the screen. These types of photographs should always be level unless asked otherwise by the customer, and if you want you could use Photoshop to make them level if you wanted. Photoshop is pretty easy to use to manipulate pictures and can be bought pretty cheap from online or a store.

If you need an example I could do one for you and send it to you.

Oh and I really like that picture of the horses face on an angle on your Facebook page, so cute! ^,^