This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Kindle Fire? Like an iPad?
10-15-2012, 09:03 PM
Kindle Fire? Like an iPad?
I've always wanted an iPad, but I've come to the conclusion that I'll never be able to save up 500 dollars to get one. Christmas is coming, and I thought about asking for the Kindle Fire, but I have some questions.

1. Can I get apps like Facebook, Twitter, and games, like on the iPad?
2. Can you root it? I heard for the Nook Color that if you root it you can access the Android market, is this the same for the Kindle Fire?
3. Can I get music on it?
4. Is there a market OTHER than books?
5. Is there a slot for an SD card?

Thanks

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2012, 09:11 PM

1. Keep in mind that it's an Android device and can only run Android apps. You can browse Amazon's App Store selection to get an idea of what's available and how much they cost.
2. Yes.
3.. Yes. You can buy music from Amazon, load your own mp3s or use Amazon's Cloud Storage to stream music.
4. Yes. Amazon sells apps, books, tv shows, movies and music.
5. Nope. That's part of why it's so cheap.

Ads

Hi, LiveYourLive, to start you'd be better off not to rush with your purchase as Nook Color 2 is rumored to be released shortly in time for the holiday season's shopping. For most of your questions (other than SD card slot) the answer is yes for both Nook Color or Kindle Fire. Even with the current one, of the major advantages of Nook Color over incoming Kindle Fire is the microSD card slot which neither of old or new Kindle models have. With Nook, you can actually have two devices instead of one as you don't have to root the actual device but instead can make it boot from a “rooted” microSD card. If you want to get back to the original Nook you can just take out the card and reboot. This way you can go back and forth between rooted and original Nook Color within minutes. There are plenty of instructions on how to do it on the web.
Also, with the microSD card you can add up to 32 GB of additional capacity for books, videos, photos, and apps to your Nook Color. More, Nook Color's screen is anti-glare coated and thus it better performs in sunlight while Kindle Fire's details do not list that.

Personally I think the kindle fire is WAY BETTER than the ipad for several reasons, not even including the fact that it is a fraction of the price.
You can get a good deal on it here:
http://www.shoppersource.net/goto/kindle_fire

Reasons:
(1) The silk web browser is both faster and better then the ipad browser, and it supports flash, so you can use rich media sites like youtube without issues.
(2) You don't need to "root" it since it has a full featured android marketplace with all the android apps you want, whereas the nook is limited.
(3) Amazon has better selection on the ebook front, and are growing a huge selection on both music and movies.

When Amazon released the fire is was pretty much game over for everyone else - since amazon already had a huge foot in the door on the in house content front, and now they have released a full tablet at the fraction of the price.

So trust me, amazon is the best now.

1. Yes, Kindle Fire's new Silk browser will be great for web browsing. Apps and games will be available via Amazon's App Store.

2. Yes, Amazon is on record as acknowledging the value of allowing (although not directly supporting) rooting of the Kindle Fire. Furthermore, Kindle Fire's USB port has a mass storage mode and can be used to side-load Android APK program files without having to root it. http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Amazon-Kindl...12700.html

3. Absolutely, and Amazon already has a lot of experience selling MP3s.

4. Again, absolutely, Kindle Fire is a true multimedia device supporting ebooks, music, videos, apps, and web browsing.

5. No SD card slot. No CD drive. No floppy drive. No tape reader. None of these are needed or desirable (other than, perhaps, accepting content from non-networked devices such as cameras) given that the Kindle Fire can automatically manage storage via transfers between the device and unlimited (for Amazon content) cloud-based storage.

You'll be able to buy apps and games, books, music and movies. There's no slot for external memory. Decent device for the price!
http://www.squidoo.com/kindle-fire-or-ipad

You dont have to root it it already has android the latest version, it does not have expansion memory but has free cloud storage

You can read books,
Send and Receive Email
Go online and browse the internet
use android Apps (any application facebook, twitter, games, productivity apps you name it)
play games
watch movies
and it is designed for multi tasking you can do several functions at once like read books and listen to music.

You should get the Kindle fire it is more powerful. the combination of Android market and Amazon dwarfs the nook

It is being sold at a loss to Amazon they will only profit from the sales of books movies music subscriptions etc
I found a good review of Kindle Fire here
http://www.kindle.ofwtoday.com