This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
question about the red skin controversy?
04-27-2014, 10:29 PM
question about the red skin controversy?
Is there a possible comprise that will make red skin fans and native American fans happy?

It is ignorant for someone to think that because one ethnic group does not lash out in offense it does not excuse offending another for example the Norte Dame Fighting Irish.

And I could see how many native Americans couple take offense to a team being called red skins as a derogatory name I mean it is like calling a team the WASP, Wet Backs or niggers.

But why not market the image and name in away that says to the public your team honors the native American culture. And in the same way that the Native American warriors attacked with intensity in battle so to will the team attack their opponents

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-27-2014, 10:39 PM

Funny, I don't remember hearing about ANYBODY complaining about the Washington Redskins until just the last couple of years. And ironically, it wasn't native Americans but sportscasters.

Ads

04-27-2014, 10:47 PM

I don't think it's going to stay the same for awhile
04-27-2014, 10:48 PM

I don&#x27;t think there will ever be a compromise. Washington owner is kind of a jerk and Native American groups will never be completely satisfied. USA has become way way to PC about everything
04-27-2014, 10:50 PM

The term "redskin" was ALWAYS offensive to native americans. It's just that people never listened to us. The team owner is now trying to placate natives by donating money to native causes, but they aren't even accepting his "bribes". For the same reason that no group would accept money from an organization with a name that was a racial slur inherently offensive to that group.

For example, Stephen Colbert recently made a comment to that effect, being sarcastic, and the Asian community was outraged at his proposal (even though it was meant to show the ridiculous idea of the redskins people) http://www.syracuse.com/entertainment/in...versy.html

There is no way you can "honor" us while using a term that originally referred to the bloody scalps of our people, that were turned in for their bounty https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...=1&theater

Nor can you "honor" us while making a mockery of our sacred symbols and imagery.
http://lefthookjournal.files.wordpress.c...ou-001.jpg

Want to honor us? Start by insisting that the government honor it's treaties with us, and respect our tribal national sovereignty.
04-27-2014, 10:54 PM

It's funny (not) and more than a bit self centered when people think something is new simply because they haven't heard of it. Fact--Native people have been fighting the name for 40 years, even going to court more than once. We will continue to fight until it and all those like it are changed.

And "politically correct" is just a term assholes came up with so they can dismiss people who have the nerve to want to be respected. Demanding not to be stereotyped is not political correctness—it’s a human right and you are not some hero for refusing to respect people’s right to be treated like humans.
04-27-2014, 11:01 PM

You'd still be 'marketing' a name, Redskins, that is derogatory.
To use your examples would it make you feel better if they made calling a team the WASP, Wet Backs or ******* more attractive? Made the mascot big and strong and handsome?
NO it wouldn't.
04-27-2014, 11:07 PM

If you don't recall anyone complaining before you haven't been paying attention. It happens ever ten to fifteen years. Best way to make everyone happy is to shut up about it again for the next 10 to 15 years
04-27-2014, 11:11 PM

Yeah, everybody could man up and forget about it.
04-27-2014, 11:16 PM

The Negrο leagues used have names such as the "National Colored Base Ball League", the Negrο American League", etc., with teams like the Black Barrons. No brother seemed to have any problem with that. Please note, Yahoo! Answers censures "Negrο", replacing the word with apostrophes, although, as you know, I'm too smart for that.

These are the points of information I'm aware of:
1. Over the years the term, "redskin", evolved into a pejorative.
2. The owner of the Boston Braves changed the name to "Redskins" then later moved the franchise to D. C.
3. Original owner, George Preston Marshall, was an unabashed bigot.
4. I know Indians from two communities. Those I aksed about it, pretty much said they don’t give a shít.
5. The word “redskin” is archaic. Except for the Redskins, the word’s never even used any more, thus the desensitation of the word in peoples' perception.
6. Many people who belittle the demands for change as PC are shallow thinkers and have little capacity for empathy. If their parents had named them "Cοcksucker" they would have, for sure, changed THEIR names.
7. The fact that the issue keeps emerging, dying, emerging, dying, etc., indicates that many of the activists are mere dilettantes.
8. Announcers, sports writers, and ESPN talking heads have been the big “proponents” lately. Being the monumental dilettantes, followers, and intellectual light weights that they are, the issue will die, only to be resurrected again in 2020.
9. Red Mesa High School, AZ, calls itself the Redskins. It’s 99% Navajo. Supposedly there are other similar examples.
10. Latest poll by Public Policy Polling showed 71% opposed, 18% support, 11% don’t give a shít. A ten year old Annenberg poll of Indians showed 88% didn’t give a shít.

This is the reality. The logical conclusion, without judgement, is that the issue is not an over riding issue in U. S. society and, as such, moral or immoral, nothing is going to change. It’s a Machiavellian fact of life.

However, I’m sure Gatsu will blame it on the liberal Democrats.