This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What is wrong with my internet?
04-27-2014, 10:40 PM
What is wrong with my internet?
So i got this new router thinking it would solve my problems. The router i believe works great and allows more devices on my network.

However, my internet is constantly cutting out. As my laptop is in front of me much of the time, i am able to see it cut out. I click the troubleshoot button and after about 20-30 seconds it comes back. this happens a few times a day.

Could this be a problem with the modem (are there better ones to handle more devices) or is this a problem with the internet service (att)?

Yes i have already reset everything and attached a booster to the network also to ensure its not a signal problem

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-27-2014, 10:41 PM

First, if this is DSL phone line type service do you have filters fitted to EVERY outlet with phone equipment attached : analogue modem, phone, answering machine, satellite box as well as the one to the router. Otherwise if it is only the wireless that cuts you may be using a channel which another router nearby is using. That can cause continuous connection problems. Try a different channel.

Ads

04-27-2014, 10:43 PM

By a new service
04-27-2014, 10:58 PM

As Fred says filters are important but are not need as long as the modem is going through a filter.Next you can check the channel but a good router should pick a clear channel.So that really leaves just two things.You modem is dropping the signal,which is something it may do if it's going out.Also long shot is the router you bought does not work right with the modem you have.The other thing is it's a problem with att.You need to have them run a test on your connection.They can run most test without coming out to your house.But there is one test they need to run from your end.When I had a problem with att they found that the connection on the telephone pole had a bad wire.With a bad wire you could have a good connection one minute and a loss the next. Good luck
04-27-2014, 11:05 PM

Buy a switch, not a router