This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How can I pass as a guy (FtM)?
04-27-2014, 10:45 PM
How can I pass as a guy (FtM)?
Hi, I'm FtM (female to male transgender) and I know basically everything there is to know about being transgender and just LGBT topics in generally. But I have no idea how I can start passing as a boy in 4 months. Help? Smile

Link: http://instagram.com/p/m3m5-RNOmg/

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-27-2014, 10:47 PM

The marines run a guy training camp at Camp Lejeune.

Ads

04-27-2014, 10:53 PM

First, a haircut. Unless you want to go with a long haired guy look, for which I would say your hair would probably look most masculine bound at the nape of your neck. And then of course the masculine clothing. Ace bandage over your chest to minimize your beasts if you're pre transition. If you're truly and surely a male inside, the behavior should come naturally, and the way you present yourself should tell people who you identify as, if there is any question. Hormone therapy helps too.
04-27-2014, 10:55 PM

Grow a penis.
04-27-2014, 11:03 PM

This, for me, is the best guide to passing. http://ftmguide.rassaku.net/ - it covers everything you need to know (hair, clothes, behaviour, posture, diet, exercise, etc)

There are also tons of youtube videos for ftm guys with tips on passing.

Also ask at trans specific places such as:

lauras-playground.com/chat.htm

http://www.susans.org/forums/

fuckyeahftms.tumblr.com

In response to Nicole - PLEASE don't use an Ace Bandage for binding. They are very dangerous. Well, all binding is somewhat dangerous but ace bandages are really not the way to go (broken ribs etc). Please buy a purpose made binder to bind your chest (if you need one) from underworks.com. If you cannot afford one, there are cheaper options on ebay however I haven't tried those. There are lots of free binder schemes from trans guys who don't need them anymore (mainly on tumblr) - tumblr is very useful for a young FtM for resources, advice, and support etc.
04-27-2014, 11:10 PM

With hair, that's up to you if you want to cut it or not. I've seen guys with long hair and hey pass fine to me. For me, long hair wasn't helping me so I got it cut. I brought in a picture of what I had in mind and they helped me out. Perhaps you can go that route if you aren't sure how to put it into words. Hudson's Guide has advice on hair if you're interested (which I'll include in the post). The one page on hair is mainly about barber shops and hairstyles for different face shapes. I haven't been in one yet, and the experiences I've had with regular salons I go to are always relaxed and friendly.

Clothing is universal. People will say "butch it up", but for me at the end of the day, comfort is key (as is confidence). For me, I like funny shirts and band tees, anything with logos or designs that draw attention to them and not my chest. As far as bottoms go, with it getting warmer, I'll usually take basketball shorts or cargo shorts over heavy jeans or cargo pants which help hide my curves. This is that time of the year I'l ditch hoodies (my comfort friend) for the most part, but if I feel I need one, then I'll wear my lightest one. Layers can be your best friend, but they can also be a pain if you're in an area where it gets super humid. Find what works for you and do just that. A certain style of clothing can help, but confidence goes a long way.

As far as binding goes, don't listen to what Nicole said about ace bandages. Do not (I repeat DO NOT) use ace bandages for binding, not even in a pinch. They can be very dangerous and do more harm than good, from restricting your breathing, to leaving bruises and possibly causing damage to your ribs. It's not worth it, trust me I learned this the hard way. If you're in need of a binder, there are sites you can go to find one. Underworks is popular and I've seen ones on ebay go for as cheap as $10. If you're already binding properly, you can omit this, but if you aren't then invest in a good quality one (there are ways to make DIY ones, but I question their durability and how safe they are). If getting a good quality binder is out of the question, for the time being tight sports bras can help. Be smart and use your head, your ribs will thank you for it later.

Just remember there is no right or wrong way to "be a guy". You don't have to eat 5 pound steaks, love sports or live in a gym to be a dude. Just be true to yourself and do what makes you happy. You don't have to join the conformity crowd of "hyper masculinity" to be "trans enough". Everyone else is taken, so you might as well be yourself. Like I said, confidence is key and it may help you pass far more than a button up and a tie. If anyone tells you that you have to be a certain way to be a guy, tell them off and stand your ground.

If you have questions, let me know and we can talk.