This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Would you have your child's teacher as a FB friend? What about letting your child have their teacher as one?
04-27-2014, 10:54 PM
Would you have your child's teacher as a FB friend? What about letting your child have their teacher as one?
Do you think it is appropriate for college students to have their professors as a FB friend? It just seems inappropriate to me. Two of my professors have sent friend requests and nearly everyone in my class is on their friend list. It is for communication etc... Then what if you don't accept? I think it puts people in a bad situation. I wouldn't care what my child's teacher is doing in their private life, and I don't care what my teachers are doing in private life... If I have a ? I will ask them or email them. They give us their phone numbers, and ask us for our phone numbers for information... Isn't this just asking for a scandal?
IDK, it just seems odd to me that these teachers who I have known a week would friend request me... but I'm odd like that. I am a very private person.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-27-2014, 10:56 PM

I have all my old high school teachers as FB friends and middle school.

Ads

04-27-2014, 11:00 PM

I think it would be kinda weird having my teacher or Aislings teacher as a FB friend.
If I were actually friends with them, that would be a different story though.
04-27-2014, 11:05 PM

if it's used for class communications then i think it's inappropriate. there are better ways to do that. i also have a problem with it if the professor is soliciting it of current students (rather than responding to a student's request or doing it with former students or other people's students).

otherwise, at the college level, i don't think it's a big deal. i'm okay with two adults choosing to be facebook friends even if one happens to teach the other.
04-27-2014, 11:14 PM

I'd talk to the dean honestly. The school, if it doesn't already, should create a policy to protect students AND staff from these murky waters.
04-27-2014, 11:16 PM

We have a course communication thing on our school website- professors can send an email with the click of a button to the entire class, so no I wouldn't.

My view about facebook is- if I wouldn't give you my cell phone number, I'm not adding you on facebook.

I don't care if we went to the same elementary school, or if you were in my homeroom freshman year. I just don't feel comfortable being one of those people with 500 friends on facebook.
04-27-2014, 11:23 PM

In all honesty I think it is inappropriate for a child to have a teacher as a fb friend and for their parent to add that teacher also.
I think it blurs the boundaries and has the potential of encouraging inappropriate leanings on either side.
I am only interested in the teachers ability to teach my child, not befriend them outside of school hours.
I would be very surprised if a school did not have some professional code of conduct about such matters.
I think it is a different matter when you are an adult and become in contact with a former teacher as you are an adult, not under their influence and they do not have a duty of care towards you.
04-27-2014, 11:33 PM

I wouldnt think a child below the high school grade should even have a facebook page. i dont see anything wrong with it as long as they arent trying anything. once i finished high school i had 2 of my teachers as my friends on fb but i dont have any professors from my college on there
04-27-2014, 11:39 PM

If you do have your professors on your FB page, then make sure that your FB page is very professional and impersonal.

If you need to "express" yourself to the whole world, do that on another account.
04-27-2014, 11:42 PM

If it is a past teacher, I see no problem. If it is a current teacher, I feel this is inappropriate--opens a pandora's box of possible problems. FB, imo, should be for friends.