This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do i find out if my hotel router blocked me?
04-27-2014, 11:29 PM
How do i find out if my hotel router blocked me?
I run into this at times, different scenarios, however this is what i'm dealing with right now. I'm on windows 7.

two 802.11g routers on the fourth floor, and 1 router above me. What's going on, is that after about 5-10 mins the yellow triangle pops up over the "bars" icon. i right click it, and it says that i'm connected to 4th floor/1 network, but w/ limited internet access. i change to 4th floor/2, and then try to change to 5th floor. i can't even connect to the 5th floor at all.

all of the hotel's access points are unsecured, w/ no pass needed. furthermore, each of the router's go to what i'm assumeing is a larger router in the main office on the 1st floor.

here's a few additional details. i've been useing this network for about a month over now, and throught these 30 days, i've been able to connect, however certian apps will disconect, such as steam, gmail, while others remain connected. also when useing proxies/tor browser/vpns, sfor a quick login, upload/download/logout, my connection/apps will disconect w/ other apps still connected.

also, my phone's going through the same crap as well, although i Rarely EVER use it online, it's an easily identifiable phone if a staff member decided he/she did want me in the router, ie, can see it's a nexus, or see that the phone, and my laptop both connect to the same urls.

What's going on here? What can i do? is there someone in the hotel staff that's blocking my computer? how can i find out? Is it something w/ my win7 config?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-27-2014, 11:35 PM

Hotels as a group have horrendous WiFi. Many if not most of them claim high speed but you don't get it. A T1 (around 1.5 Mbps both ways) can not handle a hotel, period.

Most hotel staffs have zero people that understand the WiFi so they probably can't spy on you. Other guest can.

For security, log into some place like Hotspot VPN. That will secure your traffic from your computer to them. The hotel can not interfere with it. You may find that the busier the hotel is, the worse the internet. You might also find that you need to use your phones hotspot for your stuff.

Also, consider going here http://www.hotelwifitest.com/ and giving them some data. Till hotels lose business for lousy internet, it won't get better.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply