This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Questions about my characters?
04-27-2014, 11:48 PM
Questions about my characters?
Well, my friend and I are co-writing a story since we're both suffering from writer's block from our own stories.
So we had both created our own characters and I want to see what we can add or change..

The plot is still in a work in progress but it's modeled after the biblical story of Cain and Abel. A pair of twins (both girls) are part of a prophecy where they are said to be the opposites. They can either work together or fight against each other. It's a work in progress still, so it will be a while before anything is started.

Oldest twin (*my friend's character)
Name: Celia Shepherd
She has medium, curly chestnut brown hair with beautiful, amber brown eyes and a light tan skin tone. She is a social butterfly. She loves attention and is always with her friends. She is a popular girl that a lot of people enjoy to be around and she is a bit of a loud mouth. She will speak her mind and has a bit of attitude.

Youngest twin (*my character):
Name:
She has long, straight red hair with deep forest green eyes and pale skin tone. She is a loner, always hiding from everyone including her family. She doesn't speak much to anyone, often alone by herself. She is a beautiful girl but hides behind baggy clothes.

BQ:
- For the second character, would it be okay to name her Kerrigan?
- What else can I add to these characters to make them better?
- Should I change anything about them?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-27-2014, 11:51 PM

Kerrigan may not be the best name. I just looked it up, and it means 'dusky', which might fit her character considering she's an outside character, and likes to hand out in the dark, or dusk. However, it is most commonly a boy's name, which could confuse readers. I would try to find names that fit the personality. https://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/in...709AADtMOg Here are some girl names that mean quiet or shy. Some of them are weird, but the Celia was a pretty normal name, so that might add the effect of opposites (normal name vs. unique name). Also, maybe with Celia talk to your friend about making her have short hair maybe, to add to the effect of opposites once again. Also, maybe make Celia the pretty one and your character the less pretty one. Make it seem like one is bad, and one is good. Sort of like light and shadow. Celia is light, your character is shadow. I'm just throwing ideas out there to see if it sparks anything for you and your friend. Hope this helps and good luck with your book

Ads

04-27-2014, 11:53 PM

I love the name Kerrigan, though I'd advise having her last name be something short, maybe 3-4 letters, or else it will clash with her first.

I feel like maybe giving Celia some sort of weakness- a fear, rare disorder, something that would give her trouble during the plot- something that would force Kerrigan to go against her personality in order to help or hinder her twin, depending on whether you choose to have them work together or fight.

They should both have aspects about them that people can both love, and hate. Forgive me for comparing, but the popular book/movie Twilight fanbase had 'teams', for both Edward and Jacob. If you end up having them fight, I'd think the audience would enjoy it more if they had material to debate with against the other. Like, make sure they both have some dirty little secrets, but don't forget to give them both moments of glory.

TIP: Building characters can go far beyond what you actually use in the story. You could both get a notepad, or open up a word document, and simply describe. Every aspect of your character. Think above and beyond- make it complicated! Height, race, background, parents, favorite colors, foods they hate, allergies, favorite bands/artists? Anything that might seem meaningless could easily influence an amazing plot change that might make or break your story!

If you're planning on publishing, try FictionPress.com or Wattpad. Either way, I'd love a link if you do!

And good luck. It sounds very interesting, and I'd love to read it.