This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Are there huge differences between coaxial cables?
04-27-2014, 11:50 PM
Are there huge differences between coaxial cables?
I live in this large apartment complex and the comcast guy wired one spot at the far end of my apartment which creates a poor wifi signal in any other room in my apartment. I want to wrap the coaxial cable along the outside of my building until it reaches my living room area(i live on the corner apartment).

Being such a large building, I have found sections of coaxial cable that are not connected(possibly outdated or old).
I want to "borrow" an unused section and I wanted to know if I need to worry about how old the cord is? The cord is missing the ends so I will have to add new ones and I have no idea how long the cord has laid there unused.

The coaxial cable is strictly for my cable modem for internet...

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-27-2014, 11:52 PM

It should be fine but just run a speed test before and after. Good luck rf work is always daunting

Ads

04-27-2014, 11:58 PM

be aware that if the connections you make to the RF network are poor, lose or open ended you can introduce noise into the network which will affect all of the connections in the local RF network. depending on the equipment attached to the network the cable provider may see any additional noise in the network.

the thinner the coax diameter the greater the signal loss. the network will be balanced to your current coax length and you may also find the modem won't work as well especially the return path.
04-28-2014, 12:00 AM

Only use new shielded cable.