This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
way to get around router kick off internet?
04-28-2014, 12:23 AM
way to get around router kick off internet?
Im an 18 year old kid whos unfortunately stuck living with his parents until he graduates college to cut back on expenses. I pay for my room and ammenities but said parents refuse to let me on the internet I pay for past 6pm regardless of what work Im doing or not. Is there a way to get around whatever theyre doing to kick my computer off the internet or no?

NOTES:
-it shows the connection as still there but me not being connected to it. I cant reconnect it just tells me that "cant connect to this server"
-its done through the router config.

Anyone know what that is and how to get around it?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2014, 12:25 AM

The router has been set up to allow your MAC address to connect during certain times, then disallows connection at all other times.

This is called MAC filtering.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_filtering

"until he graduates college"

Go to the college library to do your studies if you need to use the Internet after 6 pm.
You can also meet classmates there for study groups.

The Internet is not the real world, so spend your evening hours with other people when you are not studying or working. Person-to-person networks are how the world works.

Ads

04-28-2014, 12:31 AM

Time based ACLs or "access restriction" on routers is set up for each computer by MAC or IP, so changing both would get you past it, unless it's set up for the entire network. If it is then you'd have to have access to the router's management interface.

Tony RB has a point, but if you're paying for it I don't see much problem in trying to take control over it so long as it's not an obsession.