This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sharing a wireless internet connection, via a router. Will this cause...?
04-28-2014, 12:54 AM
Sharing a wireless internet connection, via a router. Will this cause...?
If I share the wireless internet connection via a router throughout the household (this will consist of up to 2 laptops and Xbox LIVE on, all at once) will this cause the internet to run slower, or REALLY slow.
My dad won't like it if the internet is slow because I am using 'his' routered connection to play xbox LIVE and have internet for my laptop.

So, will this cause the internet connection to be slower for everyone?
Thankyou.
(Explain in 'normal language' - I'm not very internet/computer literate.)

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2014, 01:00 AM

it will slow down the internet for each individual device because you have one router and your splitting the wifi three ways and you can broadcast so much information at one time.

Ads

04-28-2014, 01:00 AM

Anything going through that router will cause lag. Not all the time, just when the internet is being accessed with either your laptop or XboX. The only way around your problem would be to upgrade your internet connection speed to compensate for extra devices or use less devices at the same time.
04-28-2014, 01:09 AM

If you are playing over the network (connected to the internet with other players) then yes, the internet will slow down a bit. Downloads will cause big slowdowns. You're talking about bandwidth. It's just like a street. The more cars (data packages) you have trying to drive on it, the less space there is to move forward, thereby causing little traffic jams. If you only play or download during times your dad is not using the internet, he won't notice a thing. Simply being networked or connected (parked on the side of the street) to the router won't cause any issues, it's when you're actively using the connection.
04-28-2014, 01:18 AM

i run 54 mbps cable internet and I personally can tell when the xbox is on and when its off (there are 2-3 comps and an xbox). Its not a huge deal or anything that would make me say "well the xbox must be on" if it weren't for the fact I was the one turning on the xbox though.

So as long as you don't have a crappy dial up connection or something I think you should be fine (also..as long as you aren't downloading a bunch of torrents).