This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Internet Connection to PC and Laptop?
04-28-2014, 02:36 AM
Internet Connection to PC and Laptop?
Hi Guys,

I have a desktop at home, and I just recently bought a laptop. I want to connect my DSL line (Beam Tele) internet of 1 MBPS to both desktop and laptop simultaneously... how can i do that. please give brief details as i am not that techy...!!!

Thanks in advance.

ZAM

PS: Beam Tele is an ISP in India. However, people from other countries can also answer, but the criteria is "wired internet connection."

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2014, 02:37 AM

Hi,

If your using Windows XP, in Desktop install another Network Card and enable ICD (Internet Connection Sharing). By enabling ICS you will be a third class IP address to the second network card and it will be like
Gateway will be nil.

You should configure your laptop's IP address as
192.168.0.1 (optional)

For this process you buy Network cable as per your requirement and connect from the second network card of Desktop to your Laptop.

Steps to follow:
Go to Control Panel--Network Connections--Local Area Connection (which is first network of Desktop)--Double Click--Click Properties--Advance TAB--Settings--Click Enable ICS.

Ads

04-28-2014, 02:44 AM

Above guy is retarded... he copy/pasted some ICS guide or something...
ICS is ONLY for sharing 2 computers via an Ethernet cable. To do this you MUST have 2 NIC in your computer. Most dont...

Anyway, its quite simple. You buy a "router". A router takes 1 ethernet and splits it into 4+ ethernet ports you can connect to other computers. You can also get a "wireless router" which is the same thing, but it can also broadcast a wireless radio wave which you can use to connect devices with wifi cards to the internet w/o any cables.
04-28-2014, 02:44 AM

1st Set up the wireless network in desktop.Enable Internet Connection Sharing on the desktop PC's wireless adapter.
Join the laptop as a client to the wireless network via wifi router.
If you have a third party firewall on the desktop PC, make sure you configure it to allow any traffic otherwise it may prevent this from working.