This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
who knicknamed the bbc aunty ?
04-28-2014, 02:45 AM
who knicknamed the bbc aunty ?
it should be "anti" - [Anti]. I'd rather stay with Yahoo than cheep cheep on twitter.
Paul, the *spirit Soul* are long gone before the body ends up in a grave, but don't tell anyone. So many are looking for more building sites. Those *secular* groups should be banned from public places. The "Big Question" should have lots of space soon. Don't the churches know people can read and write these days. Have you a "when" this took place. WW1 & WW2 were due to ignoring Religion. {Baha'i Faith} - They must be a bit like others think they are - a start again instead of a continuation. They got how the U.N. should be run. {A.K.J.V.}
a little bit before my time David G H. WW2 was a Prophecy. Isaiah 3 v 18 - 26. Deuteronomy 18 v 18 meant Jesus but they are still allowed to wait for {someone} - at the expense of others.
It will only still apply to idiot newspapers. Sky T.V. is a by pass for many - what 'virgin' - or is that 'which'.
nemesis, auntie seems inside out and up-side-down. I'm 73 but have only quite recently got into watching T.V.. - So, the 'beeb' is ANTI. My goodness but it shows. The E.U. is Roman Catholicism trying to make a 'come back' - [ in secret ] so we aren't at all popular. All these 'fragments' only seem funny. Nothing is really *United* and our Monarch keeps our A.K.J.V. true - and truth hurts, so avoid it. Satan's lot are only human too.
oh dear, how do I pick a best answer ? - I'll see if a good night's sleep helps.
Nemesis won. I'm on with dictionaries now and the word *liberty* and who has a Statue of Liberty and news papers are worse than 'chicken littles' they have gone right back in their 'shells'.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2014, 02:51 AM

It was the Man From Uncle........

Ads

04-28-2014, 02:53 AM

It goes back to the days of its first DG, Lord Reith. Way back then the broadcaster had moral virtue and cultural values. Reith was determined to keep standards high rather than lower them just to get higher ratings. It was a policy contrasted with the emerging ITV which was quite happy to pander to the lowest common denominator, so the 'aunty' soubriquet meant that aunty knows best.

The BBC still believe it knows best; however what it regards as 'best' these days is usually of a low standard and/or foul mouthed.

Reith would not simply be turning in his grave but spinning.
04-28-2014, 03:00 AM

Its just an affectionate name for the service that gave the people of Europe and the world in 1940 hope to carry on the fight against Hitler. I think it still applies.
04-28-2014, 03:02 AM

I'm aged 70 and 'Auntie BBC' has been a sort of affectionate term used for as long back as I can remember.
Most take it to mean 'prim and proper' - a tad old-fashioned - reflecting the somewhat patronising way programmes were originally broadcast.
The BBC's Charter specifies the main aims as being - to inform, to educate - and to entertain, with the latter originally rather more 'refined' than what we get nowadays.
The introduction of ITV/Commericial TV was seen by many as 'lowering standards' - especially with 'game shows' for Joe Public winning big prizes before squealing, easily excitable audiences.
Audience ratings made Auntie raise her skirts to match, especially in the Swinging 60s - when satirical programmes challenged 'old-fashioned' attitudes, such as respect for authority, politicians, religion, the monarchy etc.- and the sexual revolution loosened the restrictions on what was deemed 'suitable' to be broadcast.
Some believe that politically, the Beeb has become anti-establishment, rather left-wing, but then the Lefties argue the opposite - so one can assume Auntie has the balance just about right.
04-28-2014, 03:07 AM

The bbc.
04-28-2014, 03:10 AM

According to Guardian see first link below.
In the early years of its development ( BBC Incorporated ) the administrators were largely of middle class origins and demonstrated daily that they knew what was best for listeners and later on the viewers.This was derided by critics as the "Auntie knows best" syndrome. Hence the shortened version of "Auntie".
Patronising, much.
04-28-2014, 03:19 AM

jimmy savile..