This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How should I disconnect from an internet connection?
04-28-2014, 02:51 AM
How should I disconnect from an internet connection?
Recently when I disconnect from an internet connection (by clicking the X in the upper right corner) the computer otherwise works ok but it will not reconnect to internet. It says "not responding." If I restart the computer it works ok.
Thank you, I have Internet Explorer on Windows 7. As soon as I closed my question I remembered (File and Exit) and found it works OK. So far I've had no troubles with any other application. If it turns out this is the beginning of more troubles, I'll have your suggestions to work from. Thanks again.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2014, 02:53 AM

OK- so you clicked an "X" in the corner. What Application? What Operating System? What is this an 'X', of?

IF you perhaps meant a web browser "X" like (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari, Opera, etc etc etc), then you should indicate you closed your web browser so we know that is what you meant. Then we can assist in guiding you along. Immediately consider the following concepts needing to be reviewed / checked: Disk Health, Filesystem Health, Malware/Virus, Browser Plugin-Ins/Add-Ons, Network configuration settings, user error.

So, let us assume you were referring to a web browser application:
When you close your browser, you simply stopped looking at a web page. A web browser is not a network or internet connection. The network connection exists independently of your viewing of anything connected to it, such as a web document on someone elses web server. This goes to say that opening a web browser also does not make an internet connection. Just like opening Microsoft Word or MS Office application does not establish an Internet connection either. Of course these apps can be told / programmed / or configured to notice a network connection and / or use it, but reality is, your browser app is not the internet.

If your pc freezes when you close your browser then your problem is either hardware or software related and not Internet related. This is a computer thing, not a networking thing.

Therefore, If closing an application causes your computer to freeze then there are some common things you can check.

a) Perform a Disk Drive / File System Check with the CHKDSK application.
- open the computer icon
- highlight partition C:
- right click on the C: partition to invoke the pop-up menu
- select Properties
- click the Tools tab
- click the Check Now button and select YES to "schedule" a disk check on next restart (this is because this check can not run while windows is running and will be performed on next restart before you can even log in).

b) scan your comptuer for viruses and malware

c) run a small application like ccleaner by piriform. It is free and will clean all the junk from your browser(s) and other temp files not needed. http://www.ccleaner.com

d) uninstall/reinstall your web browser application using the control panel. if that does not work then try a different browser. i prefer Firefox on most days, but not always. is my techie favorite but not everyone likes the same thing of course. http://www.firefox.com

e) ensure you verified you do not have any unnecessary toolbars installed in your browser. if you are usng Internet Explorer then you will have issues anyway, it is the nature of it. i avoid that browser at all costs most the time. If using Firefox, click Tools > Add-On and disable/remove any plugin you do not want. Not Sure? use your start menu and find Firefox (Safe Mode) which starts the browser without all the junk running. if it still freezes then the steps above may help, if it does not freeze then you just proved you prob have a browser plugin issue.

this is a good starting point. hopefully since I am having to blindly provide input to your question, lets see of any of those things get you going. if not, please repost with as many details as you can in a new question.

thanks!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply