This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Parents Invading Privacy?
04-28-2014, 03:00 AM
Parents Invading Privacy?
My parents are constantly invading my privacy. They hack into my FaceBook, MySpace, look in my text messages , yell at me if I'm talking to guys and always ask about my friend (Their race, grades, etc.). It's really annoying. It's like they don't trust me at all. I should be trusted though. I get Straight A's, perfect citizenship grades, and in National Junior Honor Society. I don't do drugs, I don't smoke, my friends don't do that either. I know they're trying to keep me safe but how do I tell them to back off a little?
My belongings are constantly searched and they always go in my room without knocking. -_-
Please tell me a way for maturely dealing with this situation?
And I know that "children get not privacy until their legal adults" which I think is a stupid law thing. -_-
Oh I will only share that I'm in middle school. Don't feel like putting my age on the internet Tongue

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2014, 03:08 AM

You didn't mention how old you are.

I think you need to sit down with them and without yelling or screaming, calmly tell them that you feel it inapporiate that they walk in on you in your bedroom without knocking.

Then tell them that you feel that is time that you get some privacy and how your good and don't do anything wrong.

If you really concerned get a seprate myspace account that they don't know about. Put a code on your phone to lock it so only you know.

Ads

04-28-2014, 03:12 AM

Firstly, how old are you? I think that is really important when answering this type of question.

When you become a teenager you develop your own character and you start learning about who you are and develop an identity. So this type of behaviour can be really intrusive and annoying. But they are still your parents and have the right to protect you. Have you done something recently that would make them think you are untrustworthy? Such as staying out later than usual? It still doesn't excuse the behaviour totally but I would understand if that was the case.

If you have done something out of character recently then your parents will eventually stop invading your privacy once they trust you again which may take some time. If you have done nothing on the other hand you do need to think of a mature way to handle the situation. You could do this by getting your parents together and explaining that you are getting upset with them going through your things. Let them know you love them and appreciate them protecting you but say that you feel it's getting a bit excessive. Say you are getting good grades and have good friends but you don't feel like you are getting rewarded for this behaviour by their actions. Then make a compromise with them. You could negotiate a few things that your parents can check such as facebook but some things you would like to keep to yourself such as your belongings.
04-28-2014, 03:16 AM

how is it that your parents hack into your accounts? You need stronger passwords and put a password on everything ...lock your door and your phone. or talk to them.
04-28-2014, 03:17 AM

Your parents are responsible for your safety until you turn 18. If you get into any trouble, they can be held accountable and even go to jail, depending on your offense. They have the right to know who you talk to, where you go, and find out who you hang out with because all those things and people influence your behavior. Here is what I would suggest you do. Calmly, without histronics.
1. Ask to have a meeting to discuss privacy and trust issues with you.
2. Make a list of things you would like to happen. Ask them what THEY would like to happen and write down everything they say as well.
3. Tell them that you know they love you and are trying to protect you, and that is why they try to keep you so close.
4.Negotiate. Give them something they want so you can get something you want. Add them as friends to facebook and myspace, freely give them the phone to look at your textmessages. What do you have to hide? It will bore them to tears to read your posts, trust me! Confide in them about things you worry about with your friends, about guys. If you talk to them about what you are experiencing and feeling, they will feel safer and feel less that they have to pry to find out how you are doing,and they will naturally back off because you are being more open.
5. Tell them that since you are in high school now and keeping up your grades, that you would like some adult privacy. For instance, they should knock before going into your room. You would like a later curfew, in return you will call them and let them know where you are and if you are going somewhere else. Tell them that you will gladly submit to drug and alcohol testing anytime they see fit if that is what they need to know you are not doing drugs or booze, but to please refrain from the room searches. To get something you want, you have to give them something they want. This is a mature way to handle your predicament. You won't get everything you want and you will have to give, but it will be better than it was before!